Get a job as a prison officer
Prison Officers or Prisoner Custody Officers (PCOs) are key to the effective running of our prisons and working for G4S, you would get involved in making sure the prison is safe and secure as well as assisting prisoner’s reform.
You would also play a key role in giving prisoners structure and routine and ensuring that they are secure in the evening. You would be dealing with a wide variety of people as well as following processes and procedures in line with training and regulations.
Role and responsibilities
This is typically a full time role with guaranteed hours often working on a rostered shift basis, although flexible working arrangements may also be available. You would be based at one of our G4S managed prisons.
The types of activities you could be doing include:
- Ensuring the prison is safe and secure at all times, ensuring compliance with safe working procedures
- Ensuring all prisoners are accounted for each day - checking on their wellbeing as well as their presence
- Making sure prisoners attend work, education or other activities as required
- Securing prisoners in their cells
- Searching prisoners, cells and premises, confiscating prohibited items, and completing all relevant paperwork
- Helping prisoners to address offending behaviour whilst reinforcing positive behaviour
- Acting as a role model, demonstrating positive behaviours and always behaving in line with our company values
- Supporting and protecting prisoners who are experiencing difficulties
- Contributing to the control of incidents and emergencies when required
- Maintaining prisoner records, documentation and reports
- Escorting prisoners to hospital appointments and other locations
Skills and experience
Ideally, we’re looking for people with
- A checkable personal history including periods of education, employment, travel and unemployment
- Ability to build trust with others and who are trustworthy, objective and consistent in their approach
- Ability to keep calm under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, connecting with people from different backgrounds
- Ability to closely follow processes and procedures
- Attention to detail and alert to any changes that may indicate an increased risk or unusual situation
Salary and benefits
G4S offers employees an interesting and varied role which helps make a difference to people’s lives both inside the prison and in the wider community. There is a competitive salary and benefits package, and the opportunity to develop your career and progress to more senior levels in our organisation.
Typical interview questions
During interview your suitability for the role you are applying for will be assessed based on your skills and experience. Below are some example questions you may be asked:
- Describe your current / most recent role
- Why did you leave / why are you leaving?
- What interests you about working for G4S?
- What interests you about this role?
- What skills and experience do you have that would make you a great Prison Officer?
- Provide an example of when you have had to deal with a difficult or disruptive individual
- What do you think would be the biggest security issue within a prison?
Jobs that might be of interest: