Technical Support Engineer (Site Based / Remote)Location: Leiston, United Kingdom | Salary: Up to 50000 | Posted: 4 Jan 2024 | Business Unit: UK Secure Solutions | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Contracted Hours: Full-time | Employee Status: Permanent | Reference: 8882
About the Role
We have an exciting new opportunity to join our Technical Support Team. As a Technical Support Engineer you will be providing technical expertise and support to engineers during installation and commissioning of security systems across the customer site including both a pre-production and production system. Provide the maintenance and monitoring of an on-premise security system. Be responsible for resolving faults and meeting response/fix SLA’s. Provide support to G4S engineers and contractors. Follow support procedures and policies, maintain and adapt documentation to reflect system and operational changes. Be responsibile for the planning, testing and deployment of updates and new applications to the security system infrastructure.
- To monitor real time alerts for hardware, software and security issues and using central monitor software to proactively predict and prevent issues.
- To provide technical expertise and support during the setup, commissioning and testing of a pre-production and production head end system.
- To support and maintain the infrastructure of a Microsoft Hyper-V environment, including VM’s, SAN solutions and system applications.
- To complete system checks that include hardware, performance, configuration, asset inventory and database backups.
- To meet customer compliance and certification by following strict and rigorous policies and change control procedures for any / all system changes.
- To conduct the planning, testing, installation and rollout of system updates (Servers, Clients, Network, Applications, etc..) on pre production and production.
- To be a point of escalation for system issues and unplanned Headend faults.
- To investigate, troubleshoot and resolve system faults that fall under 1st - 3rd support tasks and to liaise with software/hardware suppliers to resolve issues.
- To review cyber security issues/vulnerabilities and remediate according with suppliers.
- To provide timely and accurate remote telephone & remote system responses to site based technical issues and resolve as many system problems as possible without the need to send an engineer
- To maintain accurate, real time records of site based interactions in Tesseract Service Centre providing customers and other G4S employees with all relevant information in a timely manner (call log numbers, progress updates etc.)
- To maintain accurate and timely records of all technical issues in the company fault recording system.
- Provide technical reference services (i.e. technical manual lookup) to field based engineers on IT equipment and a range of 3 rd party Access Control, Video Surveillance, Visitor Management and Intruder Systems.
- Keep up-to-date with various 3 rd party technology products. This may involve self-learning and a willingness to participate in internal and/or external training courses which may involve out of hours working.
- To provide clear, well written technical documentation for a variety of purposes.
- Degree or HND level education in computing, electronics / computing or related subject.
- 3+ years of IT, Server Support or IT administration experience providing industry leading technical
support and customer service.
- Previous experience of offering over the phone & remote diagnostics
- Strong analytical skills, enquiring and investigative mind. Able to get to the root causes of a problem and communicate this clearly to others.
- Excellent knowledge with Microsoft OS (Server & Desktop) including Microsoft Active Directory, DNS
and Group Policy Management.
- Good knowledge with Microsoft Windows Servers (including Hyper-V) and Desktops.
- Good knowledge with LAN/WAN/Firewall networking.
- Experience with IT change control process.
- Need to be customer focused with the ability to communicate technical subject matter to non technical end users or technically capable engineers.
- Able to work on own and in a team environment.
- Share information with the team.
- Good time management skills; able to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to write clear, well structured reports and instructions.
- Highly organized with the ability to find field reference material quickly and pull out the required information in a concise manner.
- Occasional UK travel and overnight stays may be a requirement.
- Participate in occasional out of hours work when required and being part of an on call rota.
- A ‘get things done’ attitude.
- Must be a full driving license holder.
- This role will require the successful applicant to undergo security clearance which is essential to the role.
- The role is a combination of Hybrid working with 3 days on site and 2 days remote.
- Manufacturer certification in any of the following product fields
o Windows Server 2012 R2 - 2022
o Windows 8 - 11
o Ubuntu Server
- CCNA / Allied Telesis
- Previous Experience of working within High Security environments in an IT / Networking capacity
- Good knowledge with Linux / Ubuntu Server
- Server/Network security hardening and configuration
- Knowledge of Software Defined Storage and Traffic Load Balancing
- Experience of working with IP Video Surveillance Systems
- Experience of working with asset management and monitoring software i.e. SolarWinds,Tripwire, GFI
- Knowledge of Cyber Vulnerability Assessment tools and principles.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday
- Pension/Life assurance
- Employee Discount Schemes
- Workplace pension scheme
- Progression, training & development opportunities
- Refer a friend scheme
Jobs that might be of interest: