Waste Management Operative BRIDGEND £19,732.30
Waste Management OperativeLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £19,732.30 | Posted: 18 Nov 2020 | Closes: 16 Dec 2020 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 9335
Waste Management Operative
HM Prison Parc, Bridgend
£19,732.30 per annum
Full Time 40 hours per week
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for a Waste Management Operative to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
The successful candidate will be required to instruct, train and supervise prisoners allocated to the waste unit and recycling yard in the relevant skill/trade you provide and to ensure prisoners develop their employability skills to help them find sustainable employment upon release.
Key responsibilities to this role are:
- To adopt a flexible working approach.
- Undertake the collection and delivery of waste bins as directed by the Team Leader:
- Supervise prisoners at all times.
- Manage and sort all waste as required
- Ensure all bins are clean and tidy before location around the establishment
- Work additional hours on weekends as directed as per the rota.
- Ensure all repairs required are reported promptly.
- Undertake any other task as directed.
- Maintain the security of the Waste Management Department (where your operation base is situated). or wherever location you are working.
- Be accountable for and manage all tools in your area using correct procedures as per the LSS.
- Maintain an accurate roll count at all times
- Work closely with the Security Department to develop “Dynamic Security”
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Ensure all Health and Safety legislation pertinent to your area is implemented, regularly updated and adhered to at all times.
- Ensure all prisoners understand and sign their induction programme document.
- Ensure the correct PPE equipment is worn at all times
- Ensure Health and Safety signage is displayed in your area.
- Review and update risk assessments, Safe Systems of Work and COSHH assessments annually (once trained)
- Conduct daily pre-use safety checks are carried out on all tools and equipment prior to use and maintain records of all inspections carried out.
- Maintain the establishments No Smoking Policy at all times.
- Liaise with AAU to ensure prisoner employment numbers meet the agreed quota at all times.
- Ensure customer quality and production targets are met in a timely manner.
- Develop and challenge prisoners working under your supervision to achieve targets set and instil a good “work ethic” in order to improve their employability on release.
- Ensure all paperwork is kept up to date and completed accurately.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Educated to at least GCSE level or similar, good literacy and numeracy skills
- Have knowledge of the operation of electrical industrial pressure washers.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment.