Substance Misuse Specialist and Non-Medical Prescriber County Durham, Durham £32,900 - £43,500
Substance Misuse Specialist and Non-Medical PrescriberLocation: County Durham, Durham | Salary: £32,900 - £43,500 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 | Closes: 22 Mar 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: Health Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 7486
G4S Health Services has been one of the leading providers to all justice health environments since 2005. Working across Secure, Custody and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across the UK, we provide primary care and forensic healthcare to a wide range of patients.
HMP Durham was built in the early 19th Century and has been undergoing a major refurbishment programme during the last 10 years. HMP Durham a reception prison accommodating remands and men serving short sentences of no more than 56 days. The average length stay is 5 to 6 weeks . The establishment is serving the courts in the North East to the Scottish Boarder to Teesside and Northern Cumbria area. In February 2017, the operational capacity was 1,001.
With the high turn over the healthcare focus is on immediate needs and safety this may include substance misuse issues, mental health, physical injury and acute illness, in addition to this opportunity to test for BBV, immunisations and some aspects of health screening and promotion are provided.
Nursing provision is provided 24 hours a day 365 days of the year, The healthcare team is made up of a number of different providers that include mental health and substance misuse workers, doctors and pharmacy, G4S provide healthcare administration services, primary care and substance misuse nursing staff nursing staff. As a member of nursing team you would be providing reception screening procedures, emergency response, immunisation and screening services, medication administration and medication management procedures. In what at times can be a challenging, rewarding, humorous and at times frustrating environment.
We are recruiting for a Substance Misuse Specialist and Non-Medical Prescriber to join our team at HMP Durham.
Full Time : 37.5 hours
Benefits as a Substance Misuse Specialist and Non-Medical Prescriber:
- Salary of £32,900 - £43,500 per annum
- £1500 'Golden Hello' bonus upon starting with the company*
- Company pension scheme with employer contributions
- Life assurance
- Employee discount scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- O2, Aviva and British Gas discounts
Contribute to the successful and effective delivery of Substance Misuse Clinical Services to the North East Prison population.
To work with colleagues within the North East region ensuring the effective delivery of a Substance Misuse Clinical Services in the wider region
To work as substance misuse specialist and prescriber within a multi-disciplinary team in a prison setting, providing care to patients with complex substance misuse problems, from the point of entry into the prison system to re-entry into the community so that re-offending is reduced and the health and social functioning of clients is improved.
To ensure the provision of a health services that meets the physical and mental health needs of offenders in line with professional, contractual and company requirements.
- Provide health and social care to offenders to ensure a professional service is delivered in line with professional, contractual and company standards, including security instructions.
- Undertake assessments of offenders to identify physical and mental health needs and determine the appropriate level of intervention, care and management.
- To work predominantly within own area of specialism but to operate as part of a team delivering generic primary care service.
- To work clinically within all areas of the Substance Misuse treatment delivery system and to role model good practice to all staff who the work with. This will include drug and alcohol assessment, co-working, care planning and review, medication titration and dispensing.
- To provide specialist advice on substance misuse and related issues to a range of health and non-health professionals related to the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the plan of care for patients referred to this specialist service. This includes advice on treatment options including detoxification, substitute maintenance prescribing, symptomatic management, the management of alcohol withdrawals and detoxification, advice and prescription of medication to support titration, dispensing of medication including controlled drugs, and managing all aspects of clinical safety e.g. potential overdose, pertinent to a high risk environment.
- To manage a case load of patients with substance misuse issues – both drug and alcohol, and to be a resource for colleagues to assist in the improved understanding of these conditions within the team,
- Liaise with key stakeholders, including external agencies, to ensure the delivery of an effective and appropriate health service.
- Provide professional advice and support to allied health professionals and non-clinical staff to ensure the effective health and social care of offenders in line with current best practice.
- Manage, coach, support and supervise healthcare staff, as required, to develop their skills in line with professional standards and current best practice as appropriate.
- Promote an understanding of, and develop health and social care services within the prison environment to maximize personal well-being and promote independence.
- Promotion of a positive health, safety and infection control culture to maintain a safe environment for all stakeholders.
- Complete all relevant documentation to deadline in accordance with professional, contractual and company requirements.
- Produce, analyze data that demonstrate delivery and compliance to national standards, use data to develop and improve the service.
- Liaise and support regional service delivery and development
- To work at all times within the bounds of confidentiality, adhering to data protection and maintaining Caldicott Guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with appropriate others to minimize risk.
- To operate within the equality and diversity framework.
- Participate in bi annual Employee Development Review (EDR).
- Engage where appropriate in the selection, training and development of healthcare professionals and other related staff, in conjunction with appropriate others.
- Operate in accordance with the NMC Code of Conduct and G4S policies and procedures, adhering to legislation and best practice, undertaking further training as identified in conjunction with Line Manager.
- Any additional duties as negotiated with your Line Manager.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Part 1 NMC registration
- Able to demonstrate a high level of literacy and numeracy
- Able to provide examples of diversity in practice
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Experience of working with potentially aggressive people
- Evidence of ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships at all level.
- Hold a Independent Nurse prescriber qualification
- Experience of managing patients with substance misuse issues – both drug and alcohol
- Proven post nursing registration experience
*** Golden Hello Scheme ***
Are you a qualified nurse or healthcare professional looking for a new post in a dynamic, values-led and supportive organisation?
G4S Healthcare has introduced a ‘Golden Hello’ Scheme to reward candidates for choosing G4S Healthcare as an employer. The scheme applies upon the successful full time contracted recruitment of Qualified Nursing Posts.
Following all satisfactory pre-employment checks and commencement of employment, you will receive the payment in two instalments as follows:
- £750 on commencement of employment (once all satisfactory pre-employment checks have been completed)
- £750 on successful completion of 6 months service.
The payments will be non-pensionable and will be subject to tax and national insurance deductions.
Further information will be discussed at interview, should you be successful.
Jobs that might be of interest:Substance Misuse Specialist / Non-Medical Prescriber
Apply now Head of Healthcare
Location: Brasside, Durham
Apply now Substance Misuse Team Leader
Apply now Primary Care Nurse
Apply now Prison Nurse