Senior Pharmacy Technician Bedford, Bedfordshire £27,953.10
Senior Pharmacy TechnicianLocation: Bedford, Bedfordshire | Salary: £27,953.10 | Posted: 5 Dec 2018 | Closes: 30 Jan 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: Health Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland
Senior Pharmacy Technician
Yarls Wood IRC
£27,953.10 per annum
40 hours per week
The post holder will be required to work as an active member of the healthcare team to ensure delivery of a legal, safe, high quality specialist secure site pharmaceutical service, including Substance Misuse which reflects National and Local Policy and Priorities, taking into account the high level of security that must be maintained at all times.
- Provide day to day support to and co-ordination of other G4S healthcare staff working within Yarl’s Wood IRC in relation to medicines usage and pathways.
- Undertake regular, quarterly, checks of all aspects of Controlled Drug usage. Instigate initial investigation into any discrepancies identified, including procedural issues and escalate issues and outcomes to the Head of Healthcare and G4S Chief Pharmacist.
- Contribute towards training of other G4S staff with regards to legal aspects of ordering, supply and destruction of medication, including Controlled Drugs.
- Oversee the Boots pharmacy team in delivering the technical aspects of the pharmacy services to Yarl’s Wood IRC ensuring that the commissioned service is delivered. .
- To ensure a full audit trail of medicines is maintained at all times.
- Ensure the timely ordering of stock medication for Yarl’s Wood IRC from wholesalers, and including controlled drugs and ensuring full stock control systems are in place.
- Contribute to the development of and support implementation of medicine management strategy and associated services and projects
- Assist the Healthcare Team with the delivery and implementation of the medicines administration procedures at the Yarl’s Wood IRC
- Work closely with the visiting pharmacist from Boots, ensuring that they are delivering the commissioned professional service.
- Carry out Medicines Use Reviews with residents, supporting residents in accessing advice from a pharmacist when necessary or requested.
- Receive professional supervision from G4S Chief Pharmacist as necessary.
- To participate in the efficient day to day running of Healthcare- and in particular the Medicines Administration Point (pharmacy room) and assist senior managers, when required, in overseeing the management of pharmacy services.
- To identify, investigate and provide feedback and training on any procedural issues, in particular in relation to Controlled Drug usage
- To maintain an up to date knowledge and be fully conversant of developments in local/national pharmacy procedures and to undertake regular review and development of these to support medicines management in the IRCs, e.g. Standard Operating Procedures.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of workload data when requested. Identify areas where the Boots pharmacy service can be developed and plan changes in liaison with G4S managers.
- Provide problem solving advice about service provision and medicines management issues to residents.
- Complete resident’s record on S1 to record all medication supplies/administration- and including supply/administration of discretionary medicines.
- Provide advice to residents on compliance, concordance and prescribed medication.
- Plan and undertake medicines management checks for in possession medications.
- Assist in purchase of medicines, equipment and resources
- Provide a timely and efficient stock topping up service to the out of hours cupboard with responsibility for ensuring stock levels are appropriately maintained in accordance with an agreed stock list.
- Share responsibility for ensuring all, emergency resuscitation bags and first response bags are properly maintained and replenished and regular checks are completed,
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of developments in local/national guidance in order to maintain/deliver high quality services to (CENTRE NAME)
- Report clinical incidents via G4S clinical reporting system and ensure Boots pharmacy are aware where appropriate
- Ensure that medicines are managed in line with RPS standards for Medicines Optimisation in secure settings- IRCs in a manner which maintains the integrity and security of the medicines.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of workload data, when requested
- Assist in identifying areas where the medicines management and pharmacy service can be developed. Assist in the implementation of changes in liaison with pharmacy colleagues/service
- Assist with the induction and training of new healthcare staff re medicines management procedures.
- Participate in the development and delivery of local training events for employed staff in the Yarl’s Wood IRC
- Keep up to date with all pharmaceutical matters , keeping records of CPD and evidence of continuing education for EDR reviews
- Deal appropriately with requests for potentially sensitive, drug related information, from other secure establishments, GPs, and substance misuse clinics; weighing up the need for this information to be provided against patient confidentiality and consent and seeking advice from Head of Healthcare on highly complex or contentious issues
- To anticipate potential problems and communicate with line managers in a timely manner.
- Participate in multidisciplinary team meetings and review liaising with other professionals as required.
- All employees should understand that it is their personal responsibility to comply with all organizational and statutory requirements e.g. Health and Safety, Equal treatment and Diversity, Confidentiality.
- To be aware of the operational constraints of working in a secure practice both for personal safety and for the safety and security of others.
- Develop and undergo training will be paramount
- Actively works towards developing and maintaining effective working relationships both within and outside Yarl’s Wood IRC including other IRCs
- Priorities their own workload within agreed objectives deciding when to refer to others as appropriate.
- Participates in the G4S’s EDR system, matching organisational aims with individual objectives and undertaking appropriate training as required.
- Complies with the policies and procedures of G4S.
- Ensures that a professional service and image is maintained at all times.
- Ensures their own actions support the equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals.
- Promotes and adheres to equality of opportunity and diversity within G4S
- Maintain security within the secure environment at all times by complying with all security instructions.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained at all times, adhering to data protection and maintaining Caldicott Guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with appropriate others to minimise risk.
- Operate within the equality and diversity framework at all times.
- Participate in bi annual Employee Development Review (EDR).
- Follow G4S policies and procedures at all times, adhering to legislation and best practice.
- Actively participates in training as identified in conjunction with Line Manager.
- Carry out any reasonable request from your Line Manager.
The Ideal Candidate:
- NVQ level 3 in Pharmacy Service Skills
- Registered with GPhC
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a registered pharmacy technician
- Experience of working within a team
- Experience of working within a healthcare environment
- Able to demonstrate a good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Able to provide examples of diversity in practice
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Experience of working with potentially
If you would like an informal chat about the role, then please contact Paula Wilkinson on 07725615477 or Paula.Wilkinson@uk.g4s.com
Jobs that might be of interest:Residential Manager
Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Apply now Nurse / Paramedic
Location: Bedford, Bedfordshire
Apply now Secure Care Officer (Oakhill STC, Milton Keynes)
Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Apply now Senior Pharmacy Technician
Location: Rugby, Warwickshire
Apply now Forensic Medical Examiner (FME) - Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire