Pharmacy Technician Wales, Bridgend £26,208.00
Pharmacy TechnicianLocation: Wales, Bridgend | Salary: £26,208.00 | Posted: 23 Jan 2019 | Closes: 30 Jan 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: Health Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 7456
G4S Health Services has been one of the leading providers to all justice health environments since 2005. Working across Secure, Custody and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across the UK, we provide primary care and forensic healthcare to a wide range of patients.
We are recruiting for a Pharmacy Technician within the Bridgend, Wales area.
HMP/YOI Parc are looking for a Pharmacy Technician to join our dedicated and enthusiastic nurse-led 24/7 Primary Care service. This secure site holds approximately 1800 men and boys, predominantly serving sentences of two years or more.
The environment in which we work is challenging and unique and we are looking for resilient and flexible individuals to help deliver a service that equals the level of care that you would expect to receive in the community.
Benefits as a Pharmacy Technician:
- Salary of £26,208.00 per annum
- Company pension scheme with employer contributions
- Life assurance
- Employee discount scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- O2, Aviva and British Gas discounts
Full Time - 37.5 hours per week
The post holder will assist in the provision of a safe, efficient and cost effective pharmaceutical service to prisoners within HMP Parc, working primarily on the wings and including administration of medicines, working 7am until 8pm for 3 days on rota-Monday-Sunday- including Bank Holidays across the pattern, alongside nursing staff. This role will involve medicines optimisation, and supply of and administering medication (including controlled drugs) and including some dispensing work, as well as supporting the delivery of wider medicines management services, primary care, health promotion and education.
- To deliver professional advice and support to members of the prison healthcare team and patients regarding their medicines and general health education so they are appropriately informed whilst working within their level of competency
- To perform and/or assist the pharmacist with medicines reconciliation for new admissions and use reviews when required by the service
- To be able to risk assess patients for their medicines possession status within G4S policy and advise the prescriber accordingly
- To know own limitations and when to refer to another healthcare professional
- Assesses patients own drugs for suitability for continued use.
- Ensure consistency of supply of medicines for individuals receiving complicated medicine regimens including medicines sourced and supplied by tertiary care centres.
- Facilitate the supply of medication for patients attending court or being transferred
- Identify patients planned for discharge and ensure discharge medicines (TTOs) are prepared and available at the time of discharge.
- Assist in providing assurance of medicines safety and security within G4SH in line with RPS standards for medicines optimisation in secure settings (Edition 2)
- Ensure the cost-effective use of resources and minimise wastage. Assist in the delivery of medicines management strategies to deliver prudent prescribing at HMP Parc
- Carry out daily compliance checks.
- Carry out stock checks on wings, order stock and distribute medicines to all areas, and including relocation of medicines for patients who have moved location.
- Provide medicines advice to GPs and nursing team on administration and management of medicines
- Issue medication (sales, prescriptions and discretionary medicines under protocols) and administer non-in possession medicines to patients in accordance with a written prescription or the written directions of a prescriber or protocols.
- When required assist in the provision of an efficient dispensing service, including use of pharmacy computer system for stock control and issue costings, further using the separate Clinical system to ensure effective provision of service for transfers and release
- To assess a prescription prior to dispensing, supply or administration of medication to ensure it is correct, clinically appropriate and legal
- To carry out the duties of an accredited checking technician i.e. confirm the dispensing accuracy of any prescription previously screened/approved by a registered pharmacist in accordance with national standards and guideline (when trained if not already accredited).
- Identify and address actual and potential dispensing errors, notifying senior staff, as appropriate.
- Support the investigation and review of CIPI incidents relating to medicines- and in particular investigate all reports of missing medicines and work with Senor Pharmacy technician to put procedures in place to reduce incidence..
- Assist in the collection and analysis of workload data, when requested
- All employees should understand that it is their personal responsibility to comply with all organizational and statutory requirements e.g. Health and Safety, Equal treatment and Diversity, Confidentiality.
- To be aware of the operational constraints of working in a secure practice both for personal safety and for the safety and security of others.
- Complies with the policies and procedures of G4S.
- Ensures that a professional service and image is maintained at all times.
- Ensures their own actions support the equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals.
- Promotes and adheres to equality of opportunity and diversity within G4S
The Ideal Candidate:
Essential Skills & Knowledge Required:
- Registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council as a Pharmacy Technician
- BTEC in pharmaceutical science or NVQ Level 3 supported by appropriate underpinning knowledge e.g. BTEC in Pharmaceutical Sciences, NPA or equivalent qualification
- Able to demonstrate a good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Able to provide examples of diversity in practice
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Accredited Checking Technician
- Experience of working within a secure environment
- Evidence of working within a ‘value for money’ service
- Driving License.
- Substance misuse knowledge and experience
- Smoking cessation advisor
Jobs that might be of interest:Administrator / Receptionist - Peripatetic
Apply now Health Care Professional - Nurse/Paramedic
Location: Bridgewater, Somerset
Apply now Performance Analyst
Apply now Bank Nurse
Apply now Senior Safeguarding and Resettlement Manager