Pharmacist Liverpool, Merseyside £34,000-£40,100
PharmacistLocation: Liverpool, Merseyside | Salary: £34,000-£40,100 | Posted: 28 Oct 2019 | Closes: 11 Nov 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: Health Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8208
G4S Health Services has been one of the leading providers to all justice health environments since 2005. Working across Secure, Custody and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across the UK, we provide primary care and forensic healthcare to a wide range of patients.
HMP Altcourse is a Category B local prison receiving sentenced and remand young offender and adult male prisoners from the courts in Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales. The prison can accommodate 1,324 prisoners in safe custody.
At HMP Altcourse we are committed to providing the highest standards of healthcare to prisoners in our care. Our healthcare team is staffed 24 hours a day and is made up of qualified Nurses and Health Care Assistants.
Our staff approach their work in prisons and secure settings with a professionalism and commitment that lays the foundations for improved services and recognises the dignity of the individual. All our employees are selected and trained to respect the human rights and needs of detainees or prisoners. All staff are security vetted and provided with thorough induction training.
We are recruiting for a Pharmacist to join our team at HMP Altcourse
Benefits as a Pharmacist
- Salary of £34,000-£40,100 per annum
- Company pension scheme with employer contributions
- Life assurance
- Employee discount scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- O2, Aviva and British Gas discounts
Shifts: 40 hours per week (Full Time)
- The post holder undertakes the responsibilities equivalent to that of a responsible Pharmacist, supporting the Chief Pharmacist to ensure that the pharmacy service complies with GPhC pharmacy and professional standards, and delivers a pharmacy service that is evidence based, measurable and in line with medicine management policy and procedure.
- The post holder will support the delivery of an integrated, safe, legal, high quality prison pharmaceutical service in accordance with G4S policies supported with local standard operating protocols, taking into consideration, at all times, the need to maintain a high level of security. They must ensure that they are trained and competent to take on these responsibilities.
- The post holder will provide positive and aspirational clinical leadership to the team of pharmacy technicians and dispensers and deputise for the Chief Pharmacist when required. Daily expert advice on pharmaceutical matters will be provided, ensuring that a safe but modern medicines management service is provided to prisoners. G4S policies and procedures and statutory frameworks governing patient care in a prison setting will be used in order to deliver the highest standard of care to clients in line with National Guidelines.
- Working with the Chief Pharmacist, ensure that pharmacy operating SOPs are in place, updated as necessary and staff are appropriately trained.
- Support the Chief Pharmacist in ensuring safe and cost-effective management and use of medicines within the wider prison.
- Review prescriptions for accuracy and legality and identify actual or potential problems.
- Clinically screen prescriptions.
- Ensure the effective supply of medicines, based on the need and location of patient
- Ensure the effective outcomes of treatment with medicines.
- Monitor patients for potential and actual adverse effects of their medicines.
- Take steps to ensure patients understand the purpose of their medicines and deal with any practical issues that may prevent the optimal use of their medicines.
- Contribute to admission and discharge planning to minimize disruption to medicine supply and ensure that patients are provided with adequate supply of medication on release and transfer.
- Demonstrate professional accountability to patients.
- Support the Chief Pharmacist with service improvement projects that contribute to safe management of medicines across the prison.
- Assist in providing assurance of medicines safety and security within G4SH through audit, action planning with professional support and education and training.
- Work in accordance with, and support the review and updating of G4S Medicines Management codes/Standard Operating Procedures relevant to HMP Altcourse in respect of the appropriate and safe use of medicines, including Controlled Drugs.
- Provides clinical leadership that challenges traditional practices and encourages innovation problem solving amongst staff with focus on implementation of prison wide developments.
- Provide regular comprehensive advice and support to GPs, visiting healthcare professionals e.g. dentists, physiotherapists, mental health specialists and prison senior management team in dealing with complex concerns, complaints and clinical incidents.
- Assist and participate in the setting up and provision of pharmacy led clinics as appropriate
- Supports the Chief Pharmacist with EDRs for named pharmacy staff ensuring that each have job description and objectives.
- To deputise for the Chief Pharmacist when required.
- Work with the GP team to provide a medication review service to enable patients to discuss any problems experienced with medication.
- Support the prescribing of in-possession medication where appropriate, whilst minimizing risk of misuse or abuse.
- Support patients to take over the counter therapy or signpost to alternative services.
- Promote Public Health campaigns within the prison setting. e,g. Flu vaccination
- Develop and monitor clinical audits in relation to medicine management
- Support the Chief Pharmacist in the analysis and interpretation of prescribing data
- Ensure the safety and confidentiality of information held both manually and electronically
The Ideal Candidate:
- Pharmacist registered with the GPhC,
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a registered pharmacist,
- Ability to motivate and manage staff effectively,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
- Ability to influence and negotiate,
- Capacity to think strategically and ability to solve complex problems,
- Experience of autonomous working, as well as team working,
- Experience of writing policies and procedures,
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations,
- Passport for clearance.
- Experience of working within an NHS managed healthcare environment-e.g. hospital, CCG,
- Experience of managing Pharmacy staff,
- Independent prescriber,
- Experience of working within a secure environment,
- Evidence of working within a ‘value for money’ service
This role requires the ability to work with vulnerable, frail people, who may be distressed or experiencing pain, in a caring and compassionate way. A Criminal Records Bureau check will therefore be required to exclude any individual with a history of criminal behaviour which could be considered unacceptable (by G4S or the clients) in a patient care environment. Safety is of paramount importance and the post holder must ensure that safe systems of work are followed without compromise. The post holder needs to be committed to maintaining high standards of customer care and service delivery.
Jobs that might be of interest:Paramedic - HMP Altcourse
Location: Liverpool, Liverpool
Apply now Night Nurse
Location: Liverpool, Liverpool
Apply now Bank Nurse
Location: Liverpool L3 9PP
Apply now Registered General Nurse (RGN)
Location: Liverpool, Liverpool
Apply now Lead Nurse / Paramedic
Location: Bridgewater, Somerset