Pharmacist Liverpool, Merseyside £38,765 pro rata
PharmacistLocation: Liverpool, Merseyside | Salary: £38,765 pro rata | Posted: 15 Mar 2019 | Closes: 12 Apr 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Part-time | Business Unit: Health Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland
G4S Health Services has been one of the leading providers to all justice health environments since 2005. Working across Secure, Custody and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across the UK, we provide primary care and forensic healthcare to a wide range of patients.
We are recruiting for a Pharmacist to join our team in Liverpool, HMP Altcourse
Benefits as a Pharmacist
- Salary of £38,765 per annum (pro rata)
- Company pension scheme with employer contributions
- Life assurance
- Employee discount scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- O2, Aviva and British Gas discounts
Shifts: 24 hours per week, part time
The post holder undertake the responsibilities equivalent to that of a Responsible Pharmacist, supporting the senior pharmacist to ensure that the
pharmacy service complies with GPhC pharmacy and professional standards, and delivers a pharmacy service that is evidence based, measurable
and in line with medicine management policy and procedure.
The post holder will support the delivery of an integrated, safe, legal, high quality prison pharmaceutical service within Altcourse Prison in accordance
with G4S policies supported with local standard operating protocols, taking into consideration, at all times, the need to maintain a high level of
security. S/He must ensure that they are trained and competent to take on these responsibilities.
The post holder will provide positive and aspirational clinical leadership to the team of pharmacy technicians and dispensers and deputise for the
Senior Pharmacist when required.. Daily expert advice on pharmaceutical matters will be provided, ensuring that a safe but modern medicines
management service is provided to prisoners. G4S policies and procedures and statutory frameworks governing patient care in a prison setting will be
used in order to deliver the highest standard of care to clients in line with National Guidelines.
- Working with the senior pharmacist, ensure that pharmacy operating SOPs are in place, updated as necessary and staff are appropriately trained.
- Support the senior pharmacist in ensuring safe and cost-effective management and use of medicines within the wider prison.
- Review prescriptions for accuracy and legality and identify actual or potential problems.
- Clinically screen prescriptions.
- Ensure the effective supply of medicines, based on the need and location of patient
- Ensure the effective outcomes of treatment with medicines.
- Monitor patients for potential and actual adverse effects of their medicines.
- Take steps to ensure patients understand the purpose of their medicines and deal with any practical issues that may prevent the optimal use of their medicines.
- Contribute to admission and discharge planning to minimize disruption to medicine supply and ensure that patients are provided with adequate supply of medication on release and transfer.
- Demonstrate professional accountability to patients.
- Support the Senior Pharmacist with service improvement projects that contribute to safe management of medicines across the prison.
- Assist in providing assurance of medicines safety and security within G4SH through audit, action planning with professional support and education and training.
- Work in accordance with, and support the review and updating of G4S Medicines
- Management codes/Standard Operating Procedures relevant to HMP Altcourse in respect of the appropriate and safe use of medicines, including Controlled Drugs.
- Provides clinical leadership that challenges traditional practices and encourages innovation problem solving amongst staff with focus on implementation of prison wide developments.
- Provide regular comprehensive advice and support to GPs, visiting healthcare professionals e.g. dentists, physiotherapists, mental health specialists and prison senior management team in dealing with complex concerns, complaints and clinical incidents.
- Assist and participate in the setting up and provision of pharmacy led clinics as appropriate
- Supports the Senior Pharmacist with EDRs for named pharmacy staff ensuring that each have job description and objectives.
- To deputise for the Senior Pharmacist when required.
- Work with the GP team to provide a medication review service to enable patients to discuss any problems experienced with medication.
- Support the prescribing of in-possession medication where appropriate, whilst minimizing risk of misuse or abuse.
- Support patients to take over the counter therapy or signpost to alternative services.
- Promote Public Health campaigns within the prison setting. e,g. Flu vaccination
- Develop and monitor clinical audits in relation to medicine management
- Support the Senior Pharmacist in the analysis and interpretation of prescribing data
- Ensure the safety and confidentiality of information held both manually and electronically
Freedom to Act.
To be wholly accountable for own professional actions.
To adhere to the RPS Code of Ethics at all times.
To be guided by national legislation in respect of handling medicines in particular the Human
Medicines Regulations 2012, Medicines Act 1968 and the Misuse of Drugs Act 1972.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Pharmacist registered with the GPhC
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a registered pharmacist.
- Ability to motivate and manage staff effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and negotiate
- Capacity to think strategically and ability to solve complex problems
- Experience of autonomous working, as well as team working.
- Experience of writing policies and procedures
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Passport for clearance
- Experience of working within an NHS managed healthcare environment-e.g. hospital, CCG
- Experience of managing Pharmacy staff
- Independent prescriber
- Experience of working within a secure environment
- Evidence of working within a ‘value for money’ service
Jobs that might be of interest:Substance Misuse Nurse
Apply now Registered General Nurse
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Apply now Practice Nurse Primary Care
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Apply now Bank Registered General Nurse
Location: Liverpool L3 9PP
Apply now Senior Primary Care Nurse
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside