Maintenance Operative - ElectricalLocation: Wellingborough | Salary: £38,720.00 | Posted: 1 Feb 2024 | Closes: 7 Mar 2024 | Job Type: Full Time and Permanent | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 14513
Maintenance Operative - Electrical
HMP Five Wells, Wellingborough, NN8 2NG
£38,720.00 per annum
Full Time, permanent, 40 hours per week
A brand new contract, large scale employment opportunities; HMP Five Wells in Wellingborough is setting a standard for new build prisons of the future, using forward-thinking design and technology. The Prison will be the UK’s first purpose-built, peer-led resettlement Prison. After opening in early 2022 this is a one of a kind new generation category C new build Prison for the future; HMP Five Wells will be an integral part of the local community.
G4S Care & Rehabilitation Services (CaRS) already successfully manages 4 prisons, one secure training centre and a number of community contracts in England and Wales. The philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible to reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe.
Reporting to the Head of FM, as directed across a range of disciplines in particular electrical systems. Plan and deliver both planned and reactive maintenance to assets, building fabric, services and utilities in order to maintain a safe and effective environment across the prison estate.
Key Responsibilities of this role
- Operate within planned maintenance procedures for assets effectively and safely within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Become the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for their field of expertise and any other disciplines as part of the overall management of the estate tasked by the Head of FM.
- Deal effectively and safely with breakdowns and damage to assets within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and provide out of hours response where necessary.
- Write maintenance reports and technical procedures for building maintenance and project activities.
- Assist in the development and act as mentor for other maintenance/technical staff involved in site maintenance activities.
- Carry out maintenance inspection and repairs to various types of heating, water, ventilation, electrical, mechanical, security equipment and site services where necessary and within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Diagnose faults on all mechanical support systems and rectifying where necessary and within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Follow detailed drawings and operational maintenance manuals in order to carry out all planned maintenance, routine inspections and reactive repairs.
- Carry out maintenance inspection and repairs to various assets, building fabric throughout the prison estate, e.g. furniture, internal/external fixtures and fittings, grounds, access and car parking, etc.
- Assist in the development of maintenance routines, procedures, risk assessments, preparing and maintaining relevant technical records.
- Working with other craft qualified, semi-skilled and non-skilled maintenance staff to develop cross-skilling and cover all levels and aspects of maintenance activities on a team work basis.
- Participate in emergency call out arrangements and provide cover where necessary during sickness absence periods.
- Carry out maintenance activities to assist in project and improvement development works, offering alternatives to improve the effectiveness of the operation of the site, review current legislation/regulations within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Assist in the promotion of creating a positive Health & Safety culture across the site leading by example, this includes reporting accidents and near misses in a timely manner & follow the applicable safe systems of work for the role.
- G4S is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and adults at risk and the post holder must support these goals.
- The duties and responsibilities listed within this job description are not exhaustive and the job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary from time to time
The Ideal Candidate:
- Fully qualified and experienced within an electrical engineering discipline (Level 3 NVQ diploma in Electro technical services or equivalent).
- 17th/18th Edition (IET) Wiring Regulations.
- Experience of building and facilities maintenance.
- The ability to complete paperwork, report issues and conduct effective administration.
- Computer literate.
- Flexible independent approach.
- High level specialism in systems such as CCTV and security technology.
- Experience of BMS systems.
- Periodic inspection & testing.
- Portable appliance testing in line with the most current regulations.
- Full, clean driving license.
You will possess strong organisational and communication skills, have an understanding of an FM maintenance environment and will be dedicated to providing a high quality service. You must be fully qualified with Level 3 NVQ diploma in Electronic technical services or equivalent.
If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large global organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, holiday entitlement, uniform and free parking.
Equality and Diversity is an important part of G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds and are a fully inclusive employer who aims to support all employees to be their true selves. We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments for either the role or during the recruitment process.
G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and adults at risk and each employee is expected to support these goals.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 5 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S, and HMPPS and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 3 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 5 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
Jobs that might be of interest:Maintenance Operative - Mechanical
Apply now Workshop Instructor - Bicycle Mechanic
Apply now English Teacher
Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Apply now Functional Skills Cover Teacher
Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Apply now Electrical Maintenance Shift Technician
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire