Lead Electrical Engineer Wolverhampton, Birmingham £36,000
Lead Electrical EngineerLocation: Wolverhampton, Birmingham | Salary: £36,000 | Posted: 7 Jan 2022 | Closes: 4 Mar 2022 | Job Type: Full Time and Permanent | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 11134
Lead Electrical Engineer
G4S Care & Rehabilitation Services
HMP Oakwood, Wolverhampton, WV10 7QD
Salary £36,000 per annum
Permanent, Full Time (40 hours per week)
Benefits: Company Pension, free on-site parking, on-site canteen, local Gym discounts, ongoing training and development and access to High Street Shop discounts.
HMP Oakwood is an innovative prison which has been highlighted by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons as an “Impressive institution, with a culture of decency and respect. Driven by courageous leadership, excellent peer-led initiatives and outstanding management of learning and skills provisions”.
Within Care and Rehabilitation Services, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible to reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. HMP Oakwood is one of the largest prisons in England and Wales, providing places for up to approximately 2100 Category C male prisoners.
We are looking for an experienced engineer who will be responsible to the Head of FM for the delivery and management of all FM service delivery at HMP Oakwood. Responsible for meeting all statutory, mandatory and maintenance requirements in line with the Authority established baselines and contractual obligations.
As directed by the Head of FM, manage, coach and lead the team across a range of disciplines in the delivery of both planned and reactive maintenance to assets, building fabric, services and utilities in order to maintain a safe and decent environment across the prison estate.
Responsible for assisting the Head of FM in the recruitment, training and ongoing support to the on site FM team; compliance with extant legislation regarding Health and Safety at Work and maintaining 100% room availability within the teams capability.
- To lead, coach and develop the Hard FM services team to meet daily delivery schedules and business requirements for FM services
- To work closely with the Head of FM & Head of FM Operational Assurance to ensure objectives and service delivery is met
- To allocate work and ensure effective use of all staff throughout the working shift, and maintaining that the team are following all procedures that are in place
- To monitor & sample work orders to ensure completed correctly and all processes are being followed
- Deliver a timely response to any issues that are raised via the Helpdesk and maintain a steady flow of communication on resolution time frames
- To carry out health & safety inspection tours as required
- To deliver team briefings, toolbox talks and all relevant health & safety processes to the team
- To foster an environment of continuous improvement to maximise user satisfaction
- To lead and develop skilled teams to meet operational and business needs in a customer focused manner
- To support the team in continually reviewing operational procedures to maximise productivity and efficiency
- Develop & support positive team ethos within FM working group
- To ensure that plans are in place to maintain staffing levels appropriate to meet contractual requirements. (eg. Management of Staff Holidays etc).
- To monitor and arrange staff inductions, training, for direct reports.
- To carry out the policies and procedures of G4S & Host Establishment, including: Fire, Health and Safety, Accidents, Security, Infection Control, Complaints, Confidentiality.
- To issue, monitor and review a fully auditable permit to work system, to maintain compliance under health & safety
- Review & update were necessary task specific risk assessments in accordance with working practices, guidance and regulations
- Uphold maintenance standards in accordance with SFG20, reviewing frequency of maintenance to establish an effective regime and maximise efficiency of the maintenance team.
- Ensure that all critical & essential spares are aligned with the sites requirements, reviewing and monitoring lead time frames against contract KPI guidelines.
- Operate within planned maintenance procedures for assets etc, effectively and safely within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Deal effectively and safely with breakdowns and damage to assets etc. within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and by out of hours response where necessary.
- Carry out maintenance inspection and repairs to various types of heating, water, ventilation, electrical, mechanical and security etc. equipment and services on site, where necessary and within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience
- Assist on diagnosing faults on all Mechanical & Electrical support systems and rectifying where necessary and within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Carry out maintenance inspection and repairs to various assets, building fabric throughout the prison estate, e.g. furniture, internal /external fixtures and fittings, grounds, access and car parking, etc.
- Assisting in the development of maintenance routines, procedures, risk assessments, preparing and maintaining relevant technical records.
- Working with other craft qualified, semi-skilled and non-skilled maintenance staff to develop cross-skilling and cover all levels and aspects of maintenance activities on a team work basis.
- Participate in emergency call out arrangements and provide cover where necessary during sickness absence periods.
- Carry out maintenance activities to assist in project and improvement development works, offering alternatives to improve the effectiveness of the operation of the site, review current legislation / regulations within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience.
- Security awareness within a prison environment in respect to key locking and escorting maintenance contractors within the prison estate
- As directed by the Head of FM, manage, coach and lead the team across a range of disciplines in the delivery of both planned and reactive maintenance to assets, building fabric, services and utilities in order to maintain a safe and decent environment across the prison estate.
- Monitor subcontracted services ensuring they meet contractual and statutory requirements.
- Meet all Company & Group Standards.
- Management of HR issues (with support from HR representatives) including recruitment, employee relations, staff development, and absence management.
- Responsible for FM matters at trading reviews including the provision of monthly reports on performance and spend to ensure full oversight of compliance against HMPPS baselines is delivered.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Experience of building and facilities maintenance.
- A good working knowledge of plumbing and or mechanical systems.
- Good basic maintenance skills
- Hold, or attain, an appropriate FM/Engineering qualification
- Fully qualified and experienced within an electrical engineering discipline (Level 3 NVQ diploma in Electro technical services or equivalent)
- Fully qualified to 18th Edition Wiring Regulations City and Guilds 2382-18
- Working knowledge of H&S legislation and management in the application of FM Services
- Experience of in-house and outsourced estates management service delivery, ensuring compliance.
- A Health & Safety qualification – IOSH/NEBOSH
- Experience within a dispersed, multi-functional, demanding and people focused environment.
- Experience of BMS systems.
- C&G 2391/2392
- C&G 2394/2395
- EAL level 3 inspection & Test (Periodic Inspection & Testing)
- Electrical Safety & Part P
- Portable Appliance Testing (EAL or City & Guilds)
- Full, clean driving license.
- Strong people management skills
- Computer literate
If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us.
Equality and Diversity is an important part of G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds and are a fully inclusive employer who aims to support all employees to be their true selves. We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments for either the role or during the recruitment process
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 5 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 3 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 5 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
Jobs that might be of interest:Electrical Maintenance Engineer
Location: Wolverhampton, Birmingham
Apply now Plumber
Apply now Head of Facilities Management
Location: Wolverhampton, Birmingham
Apply now Head of Residence
Apply now Prison Custody Officer - Residential