Instructor - Production & Manufacturing BRIDGEND £21,705.94 - £22,722.75
Instructor - Production & ManufacturingLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £21,705.94 - £22,722.75 | Posted: 19 Feb 2019 | Closes: 5 Mar 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 7634
Instructor - Production & Manufacturing
£21,705.94 - £22,722.75 per annum
Full Time - 40 hours per week - Monday - Thursday 0800 - 1715 and Friday 0800 - 1300
As the world’s leading security solutions group with operations in over 120 countries and more than 625,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company. We’re bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, cutting-edge projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for (JOB ROLE) to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1300 convicted male adult prisoners and remand / convicted young offenders and young people in a secure but modern environment.
Working closely with Industries Manager, other Instructors, Front desk PCO, Learning & Skills staff, AAU, Training Agencies working in Industries, other departments throughout the Prison as required.
Customers, Employers, Voluntary Agencies and Government Bodies as appropriate (list is not exhaustive)
To manage any budget delegated to your area efficiently, maintain accurate records of work despatched to customers and provide timely information to the Industries MTA for invoicing.
To work to achieve Industry income generation target set, reporting any concerns to your line manager at the earliest opportunity.
SUMMARY OF MAIN PURPOSE/OBJECTIVE OF ROLE:
To instruct, train and supervise prisoners in the production and assembly of a variety of products in a busy factory environment or a printing environment or a multi-skills environment ensuring prisoners develop their employability skills to help them find sustainable employment upon release.
- Maintain the security of your workshop/area at all times reporting any concerns immediately to your line manager and the Security Department.
- Be accountable for and manage all tools used in your workshop/area following correct procedures for tool cabinets, tally systems, tool allocation, tool disposal and inventories etc. following set procedures as per the Local Security Strategy.
- Ensure the Industries and Security tool check sheet is completed after every work session AM and PM and keep records for audit purposes.
- Manage and control all materials used within your workshop/area reporting any unauthorised or unusual usage to your manager and Security where necessary.
- Maintain an accurate role at all times.
- Challenge anti-social behaviour and poor performance of prisoners allocated to your work party.
- Work closely with the Security Department to develop ‘Dynamic Security’
2. HEALTH & SAFETY
- Ensure all Health & Safety legislation pertinent to your workshop/area is implemented and adhered to at all times.
- Ensure all new prisoners allocated to your workshop/area receive the workshop induction and that they understand and comply with it at all times.
- Record all training delivered on the F2055c inmate training record
- Ensure all Health & Safety signage is displayed as required.
- Ensure prisoners wear correct PPE as required and inspect regularly for ware and tare and damage. Replace as necessary.
- Review and update the workshop risk assessments, Safe Systems of work and COSHH assessments annually. (once trained)
- Ensure your workshop is clean and tidy at all times keeping walkways and fire exits free from obstructions.
- Ensure colour coded cleaning equipment is used and the workshop cleaning schedule is completed daily and kept for audit purposes.
- As far as is reasonably practicable set up and manage your workshop to replicate a busy factory/work environment providing prisoners with challenging targets to achieve.
- Liaise with the AAU to ensure your workshop role is maintained to agreed profile at all times contributing to the Establishments ‘Purposeful Activity’ service delivery target
- Ensure all local and national policies relevant to Industries are implemented and adhered to at all times.
- Work closely with other departments e.g. Learning & Skills, Offender Management, Community Resettlement Companies and Interventions as required to ensure prisoners’ needs are met.
- Ensure all Prison and Customer paperwork is completed accurately, neatly and by required deadlines, to include regime monitoring, prisoner pay, interruptions, delivery/collection notes etc.
- Ensure Customer quality and production targets are met.
- Develop and challenge prisoners working under your supervision to achieve targets set and instil the ‘work ethic’ to improve their employability upon release.
- Support the delivery of/deliver any accredited training/qualification offered in your workshop and meet the standards and requirements of the awarding body.
- Challenge and eliminate unlawful discrimination, promote equality of opportunity and promote good working relationships, actively supporting and promoting equality and diversity in your area of work.
- Search out prisoners from your workshop/area and assist the desk officers with the control of exit searching and searching of prisoners on exiting each work session.
- You may be required to work in any of the Industries workshops and will need to achieve a good understanding of the various customer contracts.
- Undertake any reasonable task as required.
The Ideal Candidate:
JOB HOLDER SPECIFICATION
- Educated to at least GCSE level or similar, good literacy, numeracy and IT skills.
- D32/33 or A1 or ETO1/PTLLS/EAT level 3 or similar is desirable or willingness to work towards.
- At least 3 years experience in a factory production/manufacturing/assembly or Printing environment is essential, knowledge of production and quality control techniques is essential, experience in a supervisory capacity is desirable as is good Health & Safety knowledge and use of IT including Word and Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Ability to work in a challenging environment
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Meet customer specifications and targets
- Work as part of a team and under own initiative
- Excellent customer service
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Good organisational and problem solving skills
- Follow set procedures
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible to reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large global organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 5 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.