Horticulture Instructor BRIDGEND £24,154.63
Horticulture InstructorLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £24,154.63 | Posted: 23 Jun 2022 | Closes: 7 Jul 2022 | Job Type: Full Time and Permanent | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 11982
G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services
HMP Parc, Bridgend, CF35 6AP
Salary: £24,154.63 per annum
Permanent, Full Time (40 hours per week)
Benefits: Company Pension, free on-site parking, on-site canteen, local Gym discounts, ongoing training and development and access to High Street Shop discounts.
Within Care and Rehabilitation Services, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible to reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. HMP & YOI Parc accommodates 1038 convicted male adult prisoners and remand/ convicted young offenders and young people in a secure but modern environment.
We are looking for someone with an interest in work based learning with recent horticultural experience to instruct, train and supervise prisoners allocated to the Horticulture Centre.
Using your experience you will teach your relevant skill / trade to ensure prisoners develop their employability skills to help them find sustainable employment upon release. As part of this you will also be required to maintain the grounds of the establishment, planting/ maintaining summer and winter bedding, and to ensure all areas are kept free of rubbish by regular and frequent environmental cleaning.
Some of the Key Responsibilities for this role are:
- Maintain the security of your area at all times reporting any concerns immediately to your line manager and the Security Department.
- Be accountable for and manage all tools and materials used in your area using correct procedures for tool cabinets, tally systems, tool allocation, and disposal and inventories etc. following set procedures as per the Local Security Strategy.
- Challenge anti-social behaviour and poor performance of prisoners allocated to your work party
- Ensure that all Health & Safety legislation pertinent to your area is implemented and adhered to at all time.
- Ensure all new prisoners allocated to your area receive the Horticulture induction and that they understand and comply with all SSOW
- Record all training delivered on the F2055c inmate training record, inline with relevant SSOW, and published risk assessments.
- Ensure prisoners wear correct PPE as required and inspect regularly for wear and tear and damage. Replace as necessary.
- Ensure Horticulture Centre is clean and tidy at all times keeping walkways and fire exits free from obstructions.
- Work closely with other departments e.g. Learning & Skills, Resettlement, Offender Management and Interventions as required to ensure prisoners’ needs are met.
- Develop and challenge prisoners working under your supervision to achieve targets set and instil the ‘work ethic’ to improve their employability upon release.
- Support the delivery of any accredited training/qualification offered in your area and meet the standards and requirements of the awarding body.
- Ensure the establishment grounds are kept neat, clean and free of rubbish by conducting regular litter picking / sweeping.
- Ensure regular maintenance of beds, lawns and central garden area.
- Submit horticultural plans for summer and winter to the Regimes PCO4
The Ideal Candidate:
- Educated to at least GCSE level or similar, good literacy, numeracy and communication skills.
- D32, D33, and D34 TDLB, or Assessor Award A1. ( or Willing to work towards)
- A relevant professional qualification within horticulture.
If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us.
HMP Parc encourages applications from Welsh speakers.
For more information on HMP Parc, please visit https://hmpparc.co.uk/
Equality and Diversity is an important part of G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds and are a fully inclusive employer who aims to support all employees to be their true selves. We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments for either the role or during the recruitment process.
G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and adults at risk and each employee is expected to support these goals.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 5 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 3 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 5 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
Jobs that might be of interest:Prison Custody Officer
Apply now Prison Custody Officer - PART TIME
Apply now Horticulture Instructor/Supervisor
Apply now Prison Custody Officer
Apply now Bank Nurse