Healthcare Support Worker £19,737-£21,142
Healthcare Support WorkerLocation: | Salary: £19,737-£21,142 | Posted: 8 Nov 2019 | Closes: 3 Jan 2020 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: Health Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8277
G4S Health Services has been one of the leading providers to all justice health environments since 2005. Working across Secure, Custody and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across the UK, we provide primary care and forensic healthcare to a wide range of patients.
HMYOI Deerbolt is an establishment on the outskirts of Barnard Castle in County Durham, which looks after young men between the ages of 18 to 21 years of age. Our service operates 7 days per week (NO night duties ) delivering a Primary and Emergency care service to the establishment. We work closely in partnership with agencies including, the Prison Service, Mental Health teams, Learning Disabilities nursing, Sexual Health Services, Substance Misuse services. Dental Services, Pharmacies and GP Services.
We welcome full time and part time applications from experienced and newly qualified nurses. Newly qualified nurses will be supported through a Preceptorship Package and further training.
We support nurses to participate in physical assessment skills training and prescribing courses, where appropriate, and place a high value on development and career opportunities. The opportunity to extend clinical skills are offered through access to training with our partner Universities, Health Education England and the NHS Leadership Academy.
Benefits as a Healthcare Assistant:
- Salary of £19,737-21,142 per annum
- Company pension scheme with employer contributions
- Life assurance
- Employee discount scheme
- O2, Aviva and British Gas discounts
Shift: 37.5 hours per week (full time)
Job Outline: To provide care, under supervision, for the physical needs of offenders in line with professional, contractual and company requirements. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Health Care Support Worker to join our team. HMP/YOI Deerbolt holds a total of 513 men aged between 18 and 24 years old. You will ideally hold a NVQ level 3 qualification in care and be skilled in phlebotomy, ECG, medicines management, basic observations, delivering health promotion and be willing to undertake further training as required. The service runs 7 days per week between the hours of 07.30am and 20.15pm.
- Provide health and social care, under supervision from a registered nurse, to ensure an efficient health and social care service is delivered in line with professional, contractual and company standards.
- Undertake assessments of offenders to report observations to registered nurse or other qualified healthcare professional as required.
- Provide advice, within area of competence to offenders as agreed with qualified healthcare professional.
- Work alongside qualified healthcare professionals to deliver clinics and treatments, including health promotion initiatives as agreed by Line Manager.
- Liaise with key stakeholders, including external agencies, to assist in ensuring the delivery of an effective health and social care service.
- Clean equipment and other items, as required, so that they remain safe, serviceable and ready to use at all times.
- Act in accordance with current procedures in order to maintain security and Health & Safety at all times.
- Complete all relevant documentation to deadline in accordance with professional, contractual and company requirements.
- Ensure the maintenance of security within the prison environment by compliance with security instructions.
- To work at all times within the bounds of confidentiality, adhering to data protection and maintaining Caldicott Guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with appropriate others to minimise risk.
- To operate within the equality and diversity framework.
- Participate in bi annual Employee Development Review (EDR).
- Operate in accordance with G4S policies and procedures, adhering to legislation and best practice, undertaking further training as identified in conjunction with Line Manager.
- Any additional duties as negotiated with your Line Manager.
The Ideal Candidate:
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience of working within a team
- Experience of working within a healthcare environment
- Able to demonstrate a good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Able to provide examples of diversity in practice
- Able to work within challenging and complex situations
- Experience of working with potentially aggressive people
- Evidence of ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships at all levels
- NVQ Level 3 Care
- Experience of working within a secure environment
- Evidence of working within a ‘value for money’ service
- Driving License.
- Phlebotomy training
- Wound management training
- Medicines management qualification
- ECG training
- Health promotion training
Offers are subject to terms and conditions and receipt of satisfactory references, enhanced DBS check and prison vetting.
This role requires the ability to work with vulnerable, frail people, who may be distressed or experiencing pain, in a caring and compassionate way. A Criminal Records Bureau check will therefore be required to exclude any individual with a history of criminal behaviour which could be considered unacceptable (by G4S or the clients) in a patient care environment. Safety is of paramount importance and the post holder must ensure that safe systems of work are followed without compromise. The post holder needs to be committed to maintaining high standards of customer care and service delivery.
*Ts &Cs apply
Jobs that might be of interest:Flexi Sexual Offence Examiner (Nurse)
Apply now Paediatric Sexual Offence Examiner Doctor
Apply now Male Engagement Officer/Crisis Worker
Apply now Flexi Sexual Offence Examiner (Nurse)
Apply now Bank Nurse / Paramedic