Head of Learning and Skills BIRMINGHAM, West Midlands £43,000 - £45,000
Head of Learning and SkillsLocation: BIRMINGHAM, West Midlands | Salary: £43,000 - £45,000 | Posted: 21 Jan 2019 | Closes: 4 Feb 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 7431
Head of Learning and Skills
HMP Birmingham, Birmingham, B18 4AS
Salary range : £43,000 - £45,000 per annum
Full-time (40 hours per week)
G4S Custodial & Detention Services (CDS) is the leading private provider of custodial services in the UK and manages five prisons, two immigration removal centres, one secure training centre and a number of community contracts in England and Wales. We provide progressive environments dedicated to reducing re-offending and enabling individuals to fulfil their potential back in their local community, and, from the IRCs achieving successful returns to their home countries.
We are looking for a Head of Learning and Skills to join our Custodial & Detention Services Senior Management Team at HMP Birmingham.
In this critical role, you will lead and manage the development and improvement of the learning and skills provision for Prisoners across HMP Birmingham and be open to challenges of a critical nature, ensuring that national standards and targets are met.
You will possess a teaching or training qualification, along with substantial senior management experience in an educational or training setting whilst supporting business teams in all learning and skills matters. You will have a consultative attitude, along with a thorough knowledge and understanding of the Offenders’ Learning and Skills Service (OLASS) model, of other learning & skills contracts and modes of delivery and of the Ofsted inspection process. You will have excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills, both written and oral are essential, as is the ability to work openly and collaboratively at all levels.
It is essential that you have experience of working within a multifunctional and demanding environment such as HMP Birmingham. You should be a dynamic and engaging individual with a good sense of humour, who shares our ethics and values and is eager to support the Education teams.
Some of the key responsibilities of the role are:
- Lead the strategic and operational planning processes for learning and skills activities in order to promote the vision of the ‘secure learning centre.
- Promote, plan and co-ordinate learning and skills activity in order to provide a comprehensive and coherent learning and skills programmes.
- Manage and provide professional advice about the contracts for education and training within the establishments to ensure that quality and contractual standards are achieved.
- Manage and provide professional advice about staff development and training for learning and skills staff within the establishments so that the required national standards are met
- Monitor and advise on budgets for education and training provision to ensure effective and efficient use of resources.
- Ensure management information systems are in place to record accurately required data relating to learning and skills provision so that outcomes are fully assessed and standards met.
- Ensure that learning and skills are integrated into the sentence planning and offender management processes in order to support the effective transition from custody to the community for prisoners.
- Liaise with external agencies to ensure the effective delivery and contribution of learning and skills activities and as required their availability on release.
It is key that you are flexible and adaptable to deal with ever-changing scenarios, have the ability to build rapport and influence key stakeholders, as well as possessing a high degree of self-awareness
The Ideal Candidate:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to manage stakeholders and engage with people at all levels
- Hold a teaching or training qualification
- Intermediate competency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- A strong support ethic and a can do attitude and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise
- Flexibility and a willingness to learn
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent
- Demonstrate substantial senior management experience in an educational or training setting
- Supervisory experience
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible to reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large global organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 5 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
Jobs that might be of interest: