Handy Person Semi Skilled Engineer BRIDGEND £19,000 - £20,000
Handy Person Semi Skilled EngineerLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £19,000 - £20,000 | Posted: 1 Oct 2019 | Closes: 29 Oct 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8130
**INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY**
Handy Person / Semi Skilled Engineer (6 months Fixed Term Contract)
HMP Parc, Bridgend
Salary range : £19,000 - £20,000 per annum
Full-time (40 hours per week inc a weekend rota)
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for a Handy Person / Semi Skilled Engineer to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
The successful candidate will be required to maintain and repair assets, building fabric, services and utilities across the prison estate that is the responsibility of G4SFM. To Work within the hard services team of the Total Facilities Management (TFM) services to meet operational and business requirements. To complete all PPM & reactive tasks in a timely manner within their respective target dates following all established procedures. Actively promote the importance and values of effective communication throughout G4S of environmental / Quality / H&S good practice, compliance and continuous improvement.
- Operate within planned maintenance procedures for assets etc, effectively and safely within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and where necessary.
- Deal effectively and safely with breakdowns and damage to assets etc. within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and where necessary.
- Carry out maintenance inspection and reactive repairs to various types of heating, water, ventilation, electrical, mechanical and security equipment and services on site, within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and where necessary.
- Assist in diagnosing and rectifying faults on all M & E systems and equipment, within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and where necessary.
- Following detailed drawings and operational maintenance manuals in order to carry out all planned maintenance, routine inspections and reactive repairs.
- Carry out maintenance inspection and repairs to various assets and building fabric throughout the prison estate, e.g. furniture, internal / external fixtures and fittings, grounds, access and car parking, etc. within their range of qualifications, levels of competence, training and experience as required and where necessary.
- Assisting in development of maintenance routines, procedures, risk assessments, preparing and maintaining relevant technical records.
- Working with other craft qualified, semi-skilled and non-skilled maintenance staff to develop cross-skilling and cover all levels and aspects of maintenance activities on a team work basis.
- Security awareness within a prison environment in respect to key locking and escorting maintenance contractors within the prison estate.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Experienced of Mechanical /electrical systems and equipment maintenance.
- Experience of building and facilities maintenance
- Specialism’s such as gas fitting, plumbing within building facilities maintenance field.
- BSC level 1 Health & Safety.
- Full, clean driving license.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.