Graphic Design Teacher BRIDGEND £27,022.29 - £31,294.00
Graphic Design TeacherLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £27,022.29 - £31,294.00 | Posted: 18 Aug 2019 | Closes: 1 Sep 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8035
Graphic Design Teacher
HMP & YOI Parc, Bridgend
Salary range : £27,022.29 - £31,294.00 per annum
Full-time (40 hours per week)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for the above post working as part of the Education Department at HMP & YOI Parc teaching Graphic Design courses across a custodial. We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and motivated Graphic Design Teacher. The successful applicant should have experience of and an interest in all aspects of the graphic design process including up to date hardware and associated software packages with a strong emphasis on the design process, typography and visual communication. Must also be able to teach all the recant aspects of the requirements of our on print and design shop.
You will be expected to deliver teaching at all levels of the curriculum in your subject area and produce high quality work and outcomes for all studens. Issue and return enrolment and completion forms within the correct time frame.
Act promptly to any IV results and expectations in a timely manner in order to ensure student work is processed and certificates received in an acceptable time frame.You will be expected to teach and supervise prisoners on a range of activities related to graphic design with a strong emphasis on the design process, typography and visual communication.
- You will be expected to teach and supervise prisoners on a range of activities related to graphic design with a strong emphasis on the design process, typography and visual communication.
- You will be familiar with Apple Mac computers running the most recent operating system and have a strong understanding of associated design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. You should also have a working knowledge of all web design software to enhance delivery .
- To contribute to growth in the Multimedia department which will include the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of activities and appropriate courses.
- To have responsibility for developing and managing a prison magazine including the style and content with particular regard for security and other prison issues.
- To take responsibility for the management of the work area, paying particular regard to the security of tools, computer equipment and stock items.
- To ensure efficient and effective operation and deployment of resources within your care.
- To be responsible for monitoring and performance of the prisoners working in this area.
- To keep individual and departmental records as required by Learning & Skills.
- To ensure schemes of work and lesson plans appropriate for the needs of the learner.
- To monitor and track prisoners progress according to the requirements of awarding bodies and the prison.
- To operate effective arrangements for monitoring attendance and retention, including necessary follow-up actions.
- To ensure that all preparation, marking, assessment and moderation is completed promptly and efficiently within agreed timescales.
- To monitor quality control of work produced by prisoners to maintain standards required.
- To attend meetings of education, vocational teams and other working groups, as appropriate.
- You will be expected to update your skills on a regular basis and participate in staff development activities.
- To undertake other reasonable duties from time to time, as required by the Head of Learning and Skills.
- To undertake all administrative duties related to the monitoring and review systems of the Learning and Skills programme and the prison regime.
- To prepare, review and update regularly, curricular and associated training schemes and materials and also have them available for observations as required.
- To assist prisoners in reaching their long term aims, employability, career progression, further education and training and / or to live as independently as possible.
- Contribute to course reviews and the setting, implementation and monitoring of action plans.
- The ability to relate and motivate prisoners from a variety of backgrounds and employ effective training strategies.
- To implement appropriate Health & Safety audits of your own classroom/workshop on a weekly basis
- To adhere to all policies and directives issued by the Health and Safety department
The Ideal Candidate:
- Qualified Teacher Status or PGCE
- Relevant professional experience and subject specific degree
- Experience of working in a commercial design studio is desirable
- Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour
- Experience in a prison environment
- An enthusiasm for all aspects of education and training with a commitment to the well being of students.
- Sound interpersonal skills.
- A flexible and responsive attitude.
- An enthusiasm for your subject area.
- An ability and willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation.
- A willingness and ability to be an effective team member.
- A willingness to participate in appropriate staff development activities.
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour.
- Ability to deal with security issues.
- An understanding of the needs of socially excluded young people and adults
- Awareness of, and commitment to, the promotion of equal opportunities and the recognition of diversity.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.