Further Education Teacher BRIDGEND £28,456.20 - £31,294
Further Education TeacherLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £28,456.20 - £31,294 | Posted: 17 May 2019 | Closes: 31 May 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 7823
Further Education Teacher
HMP Parc, Bridgend
Salary range : £28,456.20 - £31,294 per annum
Full-time (40 Hours per week)
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for Further Education Teacher to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
As part of this role you will be required to effectively teach and facilitate both SEN and FE degree level qualifications which prepare learners for further education. Along with your teaching responsibilities you will provide support and guidance to learners undertaking FE blended learning programmes of study, realistically reflecting the aspirations and ambitions of the individual. Within this exciting and challenging role you will also be responsible for the delivery and assessment of courses for those who are identified as having ALN. You will be expected to source and design a range of Bespoke SEN programmes which suits the learners need and work in both capacities in our FE department and outsourced areas.
- To conduct teaching sessions and tutorials on a group/one-to-one basis with learners and planning additional support for students, as necessary e.g. ALN, Open University tutorials – face to face/telephone.
- To work on our bespoke residential units.
- Researching and developing new topics, courses and teaching materials for a wide range of qualifications
- Monitoring, assessing and marking students' work, setting and overseeing examinations and liaising with awarding bodies to ensure quality standards are met.
- To keep an individual learning plan for each student.
- Maintaining accurate records and monitoring students' progress.
- Contribute to course reviews and the setting, implementation and monitoring of action plans.
- Interviewing potential students and conducting diagnostic assessments as necessary.
- Take responsibility as a personal tutor to co-ordinate and support a caseload of students of who require considerable motivation and inspiration to achieve their personal goals.
- Take responsibility for the management of the classroom and curriculum equipment as appropriate.
- Provide advice and guidance so that an appropriate course is chosen at an appropriate learning level.
- Negotiate funding for students with charitable organisations.
- Design a pathway with each student so that on release from prison, they are able to either gain employment or attend a higher education establishment i.e. college or university.
- Liaising with internal and other educational professionals, organisations and employers to facilitate and enable learning and progress for employment and further education.
- Managing quality assurance, with strong emphasis on copy editing and proofreading assignments.
- Contribute to departmental team meetings to monitor, review and evaluate courses.
- Maintain knowledge of Further Education learning structure. Updating skills on a regular basis and participate in staff development activities and relevant internal and external training events.
- Utilise the Virtual Campus – a secure web based portal which allows access to online resources and materials.
- To undertake all administrative duties related to the monitoring and review systems of the learning skills programme and the prison regime.
- Carry out student questionnaires and elicit feedback on the quality of training and learning.
- To attend meetings of education, vocational teams and other workings groups, as appropriate.
- To implement appropriate Health and Safety policies.
- To undertake other reasonable duties from time to time, as required by the head of Learning and Skills and the Further Education Curriculum Manager
The Ideal Candidate:
- Qualified Teacher Status or PGCE
- Professional experience and subject specific degree
- Experience of working with adults experiencing behavioural problems
- Experience in a Prison environment – desirable
- An enthusiasm for all aspects of education and training with a commitment to the well being of students.
- Sound interpersonal skills.
- A flexible and responsive attitude.
- An enthusiasm for your subject area.
- An ability and willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation.
- A willingness and ability to be an effective team member.
- A willingness to participate in appropriate staff development activities.
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour.
- Ability to deal with security issues.
- An understanding of the needs of socially excluded adults.
- Awareness of, and commitment to, the promotion of equal opportunities and the recognition of diversity.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.
Jobs that might be of interest:Prison Custody Officer
Apply now Senior Helpdesk Administrator
Apply now Bank Nurse
Apply now Effective Practice Lead - GDAS IRIS Gwent
Apply now Lead Health Care Professional
Location: Barnstaple, Devon