Functional Skills Cover TeacherLocation: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire | Salary: £35,050.88 - £41,345.21 | Posted: 6 Feb 2024 | Closes: 5 Mar 2024 | Job Type: Full Time and Permanent | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 15308
Functional Skills Cover Teacher
G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services
Oakhill Secure Training Centre, Milton Keynes, MK5 6AJ
Salary range £35,050.88 - £40,345.21 per annum
Permanent, Full Time (40 hours per week)
Benefits: Company Pension, free on-site parking, uniform, on-site canteen, access to High Street Shop discounts, local Gym discounts and ongoing training and development
At Oakhill Secure Training Centre we look after young people aged 12 to 18 years old who have been remanded or sentenced to periods of detention. The vulnerable young people in our care can be challenging with a wide range of social and emotional complex needs. This is an environment that calls for high standards of social care and service delivery to provide a secure and stable environment for young people to develop their life skills and address the behaviours that have led them into custody.
Oakhill Secure Training Centre works closely with the Youth Custody Services to ensure that its regimes and designs reflect best practice in residential care to prevent offending.
We are looking for an experienced Functional Skills Cover Teacher to lead Functional Skills accredited qualifications and teach mixed ability groups within a classroom setting.
- Plan, develop and deliver allocated education in accordance with the timetable and National Curriculum so that individual young people’s needs are met.
- Planning and delivering Functional Skills English and Maths lessons.
- Marking, assessing and tracking progress – reporting data to the Head of Education.
- Responsible for differentiating work appropriately and taking SEN(D) learners into account.
- Promoting a positive and purposeful engagement in Maths and the benefits of this to the working world.
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships with young people between the ages of 11-18.
- Provide an emotionally safe and non-judgmental environment for the young person to continue their learning journey.
- Liaise with relevant key stakeholders to ensure an integrated approach to young people’s care and education.
- Assist in the development of educational materials, ensuring quality and consistency of approach.
- Manage the teaching environment ensuring security of equipment and welfare of young people in line with contractual requirements.
- Assist in the promotion of creating a positive Health & Safety culture across the site leading by example, this includes reporting accidents and near misses in a timely manner & following the applicable safe systems of work for the role.
- G4S is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and adults at risk and the post holder must support these goals.
- The duties and responsibilities listed within this job description are not exhaustive and the job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary from time to time
The Ideal Candidate:
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education qualification, ideally in Maths or English.
- An enthusiasm for all aspects of education and training with a commitment to the wellbeing of students.
- An ability and willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation
- A flexible and responsive attitude.
- Plenty of life experience, common sense and a firm but fair approach
- Strong organisational skills
- Experience delivering a central curriculum
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship-building and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Warm, friendly, compassionate, patient
At G4S, we invest heavily in our people. If you join us you will have a job specific induction programme to equip you with the skills and knowledge for the job. As well as ongoing support and development opportunities we offer generous holiday entitlement, company pension, an onsite gym, free onsite parking and the chance to do an extraordinary job – every day.
For more information on Oakhill Secure Training Centre please visit, https://oakhillstc.co.uk/
Equality and Diversity is an important part of G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds and are a fully inclusive employer who aims to support all employees to be their true selves. We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments for either the role or during the recruitment process
G4S Care and Rehabilitation Services is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of children and adults at risk and each employee is expected to support these goals.
Safeguarding children and young people is our primary focus and the welfare of the child is paramount. Therefore we have a corporate responsibility to ensure that the safeguarding and our G4S values are at the centre of all we do.
To apply for this role, you must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum of 3 years. You will also be required to undergo DBS enhanced level security clearance and will need to provide full details of your work and educational history covering the last 10 years as part of the screening process.
Jobs that might be of interest:English Teacher
Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Apply now Maintenance Operative - Electrical
Apply now Maintenance Operative - Mechanical
Apply now Escort and Stores Operative - Facilities Management
Apply now Compliance Manager