Family Support Worker - Maternity Cover 9 Months BRIDGEND £15,377.09
Family Support Worker - Maternity Cover 9 MonthsLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £15,377.09 | Posted: 30 May 2020 | Closes: 6 Jun 2020 | Job Type: Permanent & Part-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8871
Family Support Worker - 9 month Secondment to provide Maternity Cover
HMP Parc, Bridgend
Salary : £15,377.09 per annum
Part-time (28 hours per week)
As the world’s leading security solutions group with operations in over 120 countries and more than 625,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company. We’re bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, cutting-edge projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for a Family Support Worker to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
The successful candiate will be required to provide support to prisoners and their children and families through the PSF helpdesk, play area and other areas in the PSF department, to reduce re-offending by developing and strengthening family ties.
- Make appropriate referrals to other relevant agencies or organisations as appropriate.
- Responding to calls via the 24 hour support helpline and other forms of referrals.
- Establish and sustain communication links between offenders and their families/relatives whist they are in custody following the correct processes.
- Responsible for offering support, advice and guidance to visitors.
- Ensuring families are kept informed of events as appropriate.
- Ensure accurate sharing of information between secure environment, offender’s families and the community as appropriate.
- Support children and families whilst on a visit i.e. visits department and play area.
- Undergo training as deemed appropriate to the position.
- Assist in daily, weekly and monthly collation of all relevant data for the purpose of monthly returns/KPI’s/KPT’s
- To assist in the visiting rooms as directed by your Manager or visits FLMs.
- Communicate effectively at all times with the general public and internal departments, ensuring company policies and procedures are followed at all times.
- Assist in the day to day running of PSF inductions to ensure prisoners are given information within the PSF remit at the earliest opportunity, and ensuring appropriate signposting/referrals/recording post induction.
- Assist in day to day running of PSF one-to-one referrals, to ensure prisoners’ with family related issues are seen and dealt with at the earliest opportunity.
- To work in partnership with other agencies to include Barnardo’s, local volunteer bureaus, FFOPS, statutory bodies etc.
- To assist in the supervision of specialised contact visits to include Social Services Contact visits, Baby’s first visit, Pre-Adoption visits, Family related compassionate visits etc.
- Promote the adoption of models of good practice and quality standards with relation to children and families, including good practice as identified by HMCIP, Prison service, NOMS, pact and Action for Prisoners’ families (‘Recognising Quality’), Kids VIP (‘Children Visiting Prisons’) and others as relevant.
- To Maintain positive and effective working relationships with prison staff including: Visits, Visitor Centre, Resettlement, Security, Offender Management etc.
- To establish good relationships and lines of communication with Chaplaincy, Probation, IMB and others involved in the life of the establishment.
- To assist in maintaining a positive Health and Safety culture in line with British Safety Council 5 Star standards.
- To assist in the delivery of Family Intervention Programmes such as Parenting for Dads, Safeground Programmes etc.
- To cover the play area duties for staff leave, sickness, training etc.
- To undertake any other duties commensurate with the post as required by your Manager or Families Interventions Co-ordinator.
The Ideal Candidate:
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of the personnel and most frequently received calls.
- Appreciation of the functions and operation of the business.
- Excellent delivery of great customer services.
- Excellent communications skills and organised in managing daily tasks.
- Knowledge of data protection.
- Previous experience working within a prison environment.
- Supporting and working with others.
- The successful candidate must be able to work on one’s own initiative as well as part of an energetic and proactive team in a challenging environment.
- Previous relevant experience.
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent.
- Must be able to work as part of a team but also on own initiative.
- Must be competent in the use of computer systems including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook Email and Calendar.
- Individuals should be well motivated and innovative in their approach to work.
- Individuals should possess a flexible approach to their work with the ability to prioritise.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. We seek to normalise prison conditions as far as possible to reflect life in the outside community. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large global organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.
Jobs that might be of interest: