Equalities Worker BRIDGEND £22,000 - £25,000
Equalities WorkerLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £22,000 - £25,000 | Posted: 12 Feb 2019 | Closes: 26 Feb 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland
HMP Parc, Bridgend
Salary range : £22,000 - £25,000 per annum
Full-time (40 hours per week)
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for an Equalities Worker to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
The Equalities Officer will aim to reduce discrimination in any form in HMP Parc under the Protected Characteristics by promoting Equality, providing training and guidance, investigating incidents of discrimination, ensuring compliance with national policies and audits and promoting good relations and practices towards different minority groups. Please note this is an non operational role.
- To work in partnership with Equalities Manager to ensure HMP Parc is compliant with section 3 of Equalities Act 2010 to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- To undertake daily Equality Inductions with new admissions ensuring compliance with contractual requirements
- Undertake investigations as apart of Discrimination Incident Reporting (DIRFs) process
- Take on lead area for protective characteristics as agreed with Equalities Manager
- Promote the needs of members of protected characteristics as set out in Equalities Act 2010: Age; Disability; Gender Reassignment; Marriage/Civil Partnership; Race; Religion or Belief; Sex; Sexual Orientation
- Facilitate monthly Equality focus groups with offenders as appropriate across the 9 protective characteristics under the Equality Act 2010
- Facilitate effective interventions to prisoners identified as displaying discriminatory behaviours and views
- To support Foreign National Equalities Officer in ensuring contractual compliance in relation to management of Foreign National Prisoners
- Assist in the delivery of Equality training sessions to staff advising of the effects of discrimination
- Assist in the production of detailed reports on Equality under all Protected Characteristics
- Assist in the delivery and monitoring of Equality Action plans
- Assist in raising awareness of and promote change
- Assist in the preparation of publicity materials, newsletters and displays
- Assist in the undertaking of research, application and promotion of Equality initiatives
- To work in partnership with Community Engagement Manager in the delivery of Equality, diversity and inclusion calendar of events
- Maintain up to date knowledge of legislation
The Ideal Candidate:
- GCSE English & Maths or equivalent
- IT literate, able to use Word, Excel and database software
- Knowledge and understanding of Equality issues and legislation
- A commitment to promoting Equality
- Cultural sensitivity
- Presentation and training skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills
- Experience of building relationships with community agencies and key stakeholders
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.
Jobs that might be of interest:Handy Person Semi Skilled Engineer
Apply now Prison Custody Officer
Apply now Plumber
Apply now Nurse or Paramedic (HCP)
Location: BRIDGWATER, Cornwall
Apply now Healthcare Assistant
Location: Wales, Bridgend