Environmental Operative BRIDGEND £18,741.00
Environmental OperativeLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £18,741.00 | Posted: 30 Oct 2019 | Closes: 13 Nov 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8224
HMP Parc, Bridgend
£18,741 per annum
Full-time (40 hours per week)
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for Enviromental Operative to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
The successful candidate will be required to train and supervise prisoners allocated to the Environmental Cleaning party to ensure all internal areas of the establishments are kept clean on a daily basis. This will involve the use of litter pickers, pressure washers, brushes etc. Cladding and concrete surfaces will be pressure washed on a rota basis. (This does not include exercise yard’s ) You will be responsible to ensure prisoners in your charge develop their employability skills to help them find sustainable employment upon release.
Ensure all prisoners are wearing approved PPE clothing at all times and conform to all aspects of Health and Safety requirements.
- Maintain the security of the waste unit at all times reporting any concerns immediately to your line manager and the Security Department.
- Be accountable for and manage all tools and equipment used in your area using correct procedures for tool cabinets, tally systems, tool allocation, disposal and inventories etc following set procedures as per the Local Security Strategy.
- Ensure the Security tool check sheet is completed after every work session AM and PM and keep records for audit purposes.
- Manage and control all materials used within your area reporting any unauthorised or unusual usage to your manager and Security where necessary.
- Maintain an accurate role at all times.
- Challenge anti-social behaviour and poor performance of prisoners allocated to your work party and replace as necessary.
- Work closely with the Security Department to develop ‘Dynamic Security’
2. HEALTH & SAFETY
- Ensure that all Health & Safety legislation, risk assessment, safe systems of work and relevant equipment training pertinent to your area is implemented in a recordable manner and adhered to at all times.
- Ensure all new prisoners allocated to your area receive the area induction and that they understand and comply with it at all times.
- Record all training delivered on the F2055c inmate training record.
- Ensure all Health & Safety signage is displayed as required and report and replace deficiencies as necessary.
- Ensure prisoners wear correct PPE as required from the risk assessments and inspect regularly for wear and tear and damage. Replace as necessary.
- Review and update the workshop risk assessments, Safe Systems of work and COSHH assessments annually. (Once trained).
- Impose the ‘No Smoking’ policy and challenge those prisoners abusing it.
- Ensure your working area is clean and tidy at all times keeping walkways and fire exits free from obstructions (slips and trip hazards).
- Ensure colour coded cleaning equipment is used and the area-cleaning schedule is completed daily and kept for audit purposes.
- As far as is reasonably practicable set up and manage you’re workplaces to replicate a busy factory/work environment providing prisoners with challenging targets to achieve.
- Liase with the RAU team to ensure your workplace area role is maintained to agreed profile at all times contributing to the Establishments ‘Purposeful Activity’ KPT.
- Ensure all local and national policies relevant to Industrial activities are implemented and adhered to at all times.
- Work closely with other departments e.g. Learning & Skills, Resettlement, Offender Management and Interventions as required to ensure prisoners’ needs are met.
- Ensure all Prison and Customer paperwork is completed accurately, neatly and by required deadlines, to include regime monitoring, prisoner pay, interruptions, delivery/collection notes etc.
- Ensure Customer quality and production targets are met and discuss issues with line management as necessary.
- Develop and challenge prisoners working under your supervision to achieve targets set and instil the ‘work ethic’ to improve their employability upon release.
- Support the delivery of WAMITAB and NVQ accredited waste management training/qualifications offered in your workplace and meet the standards and requirements of the awarding body for which you will either be or be prepared to work toward becoming an assessor.
The Ideal Candidate:
JOB HOLDER SPECIFICATION
- Educated to at least GCSE level or similar, good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Good standard of word processing skills and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases especially Excel.
- Knowledge of ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Quality Management Systems
- CIEH Training for Trainers Award or willing to work toward it..
- Experience or knowledge of working in an environmentally related or recycling / waste management position is essential;
- Experience in a supervisory capacity is desirable as is good Health & Safety knowledge and application to work ethic.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills and not be afraid to challenge unsavoury behaviour.
- Ability to work in a challenging environment and maintain an eye for detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Meet customer specifications and targets and challenge existing methodologies to improve the professionalism of the workplace.
- Work as part of a team and under own initiative and strive for continuous improvements with good organisational and problem solving skills.
- Follow set procedures and create new procedures as required.
- Ability to provide guidance and support to staff and prisoners when required. To deliver expertise and provide training to those required that work on the Environmental Party.
- An enthusiasm for your subject area and for all aspects of training and a commitment to the well- being of students.
- A good knowledge of the operation of all cleaning equipment especially pressure washers.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.