Database AdministratorLocation: Lincoln | Salary: £40,000 per annum based on full time 40 hours per week | Posted: 5 May 2021 | Closes: 21 May 2021 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: G21/28
In 2012 G4S and Lincolnshire Police formed a Strategic Partnership and we are now currently looking for an individual who is interested in joining us as a Database Administrator.
This is a full time position for 40 hours per week. The post is based at Lincolnshire Police Headquarters, Nettleham. The benefits of working from this location include; free car parking and 24 hours use of a free gym.
The Database Administrator will be a highly technically skilled individual with the responsibility for the design, implementation, configuration and on-going management and maintenance of all Database related technology within the department. The database administrator will be integral to the IT Operations Team working closely with Server and Applications Specialists.
Please note that that role requires Management Vetting, due to the nature of security checks undertaken, applicants must have 5 years continuous residency in the UK up to the date of the application.
Please be aware the contract between G4S Policing Services and Lincolnshire Police ceases on 31 March 2022. Where there is a requirement for services to continue beyond this date, roles may be TUPE transferred to the new employer responsible for delivering the services from 1 April 2022 onwards, but at this stage we are working through with Lincolnshire Police what the new provision of services will look like and we would then discuss any impacts with staff once we have this information.
- Manage SQL Server and Oracle databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Apply data modelling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations.
- Analyse, diagnose and resolve technical and database issues. Ensure timely resolution of incidents, problems and change as defined in the agreed Service Levels.
- Provide on call support when required to 24x7 critical production systems.
- Plan for backup and recovery of database information ensuring the backups are verified and successful. Planning and managing exercises to prove recovery procedures.
- Implement recovery procedure when necessary.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours, when required.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues and document changes.
- Assist developers and Management Information staff with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Analyse, diagnose and resolve technical and database issues.
- Install, configure and maintain all existing and future database environments.
- Maintain performance and availability to agreed Service Levels.
- Ensure the timely resolution of incidents, problems, changes as prioritised in agreed Service Levels.
- Ensure documentation is current and up to date.
- Ensure that systems remain supportable, expandable, fit for purpose, and capable of delivering on-going business value and benefit.
- Manipulates, maintains and scrutinises databases to provide information regarding enhancements, upgrades and software.
- Takes innovative approaches to problem solving and delivers inventive and creative solutions.
- Develop a positive perception amongst G4S and its clients through strong, credible communication and relationship management, high business and technology appreciation and service leadership.
- Perform all daily checks in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain relevant sections of Standard Operation Procedures
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of current practice in own area of expertise
The Ideal Candidate:
- Understanding the Organizational Environment
- Understanding the Organization’s Goals and Objectives
- Dealing with Changing Circumstances
- Delivering Objectives
- Delivering Great Customer Service
- Acting Professionally
- Dealing with Complexity
- Sharing and Co-Operating
- Supporting and Working with Others
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Technical knowledge of Oracle and/or MS SQL server.
- Excellent understanding of current licensing arrangements.
- Experience with performance tuning and optimisation, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
- Knowledge of high availability and disaster recovery options for SQL Server.
- Flexible team player with a get it done personality.
- Ability to plan and organise work independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong technical skills with a customer service ethic.
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships at all levels.
- Ability to multitask and context switch effectively between different activities and teams.
- Hold a full driving licence as travel to other locations will be required.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Degree from a technology discipline.
- Experience of working within the Policing market sector.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems.
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus.
Jobs that might be of interest:IT Service Desk Support Analyst
Apply now Switchboard Operator - Part time 25.2 hours per week
Apply now CMB Administrator - Fixed term until December 2021
Apply now Admin Assistant - Fixed Term Contract for 18 Months
Apply now Custody Detention Officer - West (Lincoln and Grantham)