Custody Detention Officer - West (Lincoln and Grantham) Lincoln £20,500 per annum based on full time 42 hours per week
Custody Detention Officer - West (Lincoln and Grantham)Location: Lincoln | Salary: £20,500 per annum based on full time 42 hours per week | Posted: 3 Feb 2020 | Closes: 21 Feb 2020 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: G20/18B
G4S Policing Services work in partnership with Police forces across the UK to provide effective and dedicated Custody Services. The Police forces that we currently work with include Lincolnshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.
The Custody team is made up of approximately 200 dedicated and hard-working individuals (including Custody Detention Officers, Senior Custody Detention Officers, Contract Managers and Trainers) all of whom work in this environment alongside our Police colleagues to ensure the smooth operation and day to day running of our custody suites.
We are welcoming applications from individuals interested in joining us as Custody Detention Officers in Lincolnshire.
We currently have a vacancy for a full time Custody Detention Officer whereby you will be required to work an average of 42 hours per week. This position is primarily based on the West of the county, meaning you are reasonably expected to work from Grantham station or Lincoln station as determined by the duty roster. (For this reason, it is essential that you have a full driving licence)
As a Custody Detention Officer, you will be responsible for assisting in the secure detention, care and welfare of detained persons and their property, in accordance with the powers as detailed in the Police Reform Act 2002, ensuring compliance with the provisions of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.
Our Custody Suites operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, therefore you will be required to work a variety of shifts which will include day and night shifts, also weekend and bank holiday shifts.
Candidates successful at the interview stage will be subject to the following pre-employment checks;
- Security Vetting – you will be subject to a police vetting check as part of this recruitment process and you must be able to obtain sufficient vetting clearance. As part of this, candidates must have a minimum of 3 years residency within the UK to allow for the necessary vetting checks to be conducted.
- Medical Assessment – you will be required to attend and pass a medical assessment to determine whether you are fit to carry out the full duties of the role.
- Employment References covering a 5 year period – we will contact your previous employers for the past 5 years and ask them to provide references. All references must demonstrate that you are a suitable candidate for appointment.
- Character References – we will contact two character references which must also evidence that you are suitable for appointment.
- You will be expected to travel countywide, therefore a full driving licence is essential at the point of application.
Custody Detention Officers are required to attend a five week initial training course. The course will be held Monday to Friday, and dependent upon the course location, this may mean there is a requirement for you to travel outside of the county. In these circumstances accommodation will be provided. After this initial training, you will have additional operational training and a period of shadowing an experienced Custody Detention Officer in a Police custody suite. The initial training course is due to commence IN May 2020.
Should you have any queries or would like an informal chat to discuss the opportunities further, please contact the HR Resourcing team on 01522 558235.
- Implement all relevant legislation and apply Company and Police policies and procedures to ensure high standards of security and safety are maintained within the Custody Suite.
- Assist in the accurate and prompt maintenance of manual and computerised custody records to ensure the integrity of data held.
- Complete antecedent forms, obtain fingerprints, photographs, and DNA samples from detained persons, as directed, ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation.
- Search each cell before and after use to detect and arrange the repair of any damage caused, reporting and following correct procedures to maintain a safe custody facility.
- Search detainees – Perform physical searching of Detainee’s, retaining and recording of personal possessions, ensuring compliance with force policy and Company policies and procedures.
- Prepare and serve all food and drinks, as required, for detained persons and other items as requested ensuring compliance with food hygiene regulations and maintaining the welfare and decency of the detainee.
- Supervise visits by official representatives/agencies and ensure visits by relatives are continuously monitored to maintain security in the custody facility, in compliance with Force policy.
- Notify the Custody Officer of any changes in behaviour or well-being of detainees so that any welfare concerns are identified.
- Receive, record, care and store detainees and evidential property in compliance with force policy to ensure the accurate return and or transfer of property.
- Monitor the custody suite environment, reporting issues, to ensure the general cleanliness and hygiene of the custody facility at all times.
- Assist police officers and/or restrain detainees, as directed, in the execution of their duties to ensure the safety and security of those within the facility.
The Ideal Candidate:
Essential Skills & Experience
- Effective communication skills and ability to communicate with a wide variety of individuals
- Be a good team member but also able to work on own initiative
- Ability to develop and sustain effective relationships with staff in other agencies
- Be self-motivated to maintain and develop own knowledge, skills and competence
- Ability and confidence to deal with confrontational situations and deal with disruptive, obstructive and inappropriate behaviour
- Strong and effective customer service skills
- Knowledge and understanding of IT systems with the ability to enter and retrieve data
- Hold a full UK driving licence, with access to a vehicle
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Previous experience of working in a security or similar environment
- An understanding of maintaining security and controlling of incidents and emergencies