Cover Supervisor BRIDGEND £24,960
Cover SupervisorLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £24,960 | Posted: 10 Oct 2019 | Closes: 24 Oct 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8115
HMP Parc, Bridgend
£24,960 per annum
Full-time (40 hours per week)
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for a Cover Supervisor to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
HMP & YOI Parc prison are looking to recruit an experienced Cover Supervisor to work in a range of subject areas across the Learning and Skills Department. The ideal Cover Supervisors will be extremely flexible and available to work in a full time capacity on a daily basis. Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour preferably plus experience in a prison environment but not essential.
This is a great opportunity for Cover Supervisors looking to gain some valuable experience in a variety of subjects without having to plan and prepare lessons.
In order to be considered for this role, Cover Supervisors will need to meet the following criteria:
- Must have a degree qualification (Bachelor or higher essential)
- Have recent classroom experience in the UK (minimum two terms)
- Have strong behaviour management skills and experience of working with Adult learners
- Possess the ability to teach pre-planned lessons and partake in marking work
- Have strong communication, literacy and numeracy skills
- Must have recent classroom-based references available
- Must have experience and be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare and rehabilitation of individuals who find themselves in a custodial setting
- You will be expected to deliver pre-planned work at all levels of the curriculum and produce high quality work and outcomes for all students. Act promptly to the learning needs of the students in order to ensure student work is processed and certificates received in an acceptable period.
- You will be expected to deliver pre-planned work and supervise prisoners on a range of activities related to a number of subject areas with a strong emphasis on Literacy, numeracy and ICT.
- To contribute to the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of activities set for that day.
- To monitor quality control of work produced by prisoners to maintain standards required.
- To ensure efficient and effective operation and deployment of resources within your care.
- To be responsible for monitoring and performance of the prisoners working in this area.
- To assist prisoners in reaching their long term aims, employability, career progression, further education and training and / or to live as independently as possible.
- The ability to relate and motivate prisoners from a variety of backgrounds and employ effective strategies to assist learning .
- To take responsibility for the management of the work area, paying particular regard to the security of computer equipment and stock items.
- To keep individual and departmental records as required by Learning & Skills.
- Contribute to course reviews and monitoring of action plans.
- To ensure you have knowledge of but not responsibility for schemes of work and lesson plans appropriate for the needs of the learner in the subject area you are delivering at the time.
- To monitor and track prisoners progress according to the requirements of awarding bodies for that subject area
- To attend meetings of education, vocational teams and other working groups, as appropriate.
- To undertake other reasonable duties from time to time, as required by the Head of Learning and Skills.
- You will be expected to update your skills on a regular basis and participate in staff development activities.
- To implement appropriate Health & Safety audits of your own classroom/workshop on a weekly basis
- To adhere to all policies and directives issued by the Health and Safety department
The Ideal Candidate:
JOB HOLDER SPECIFICATION:
Relevant professional experience and subject specific degree
Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour.
Experience in a prison environment
An enthusiasm for all aspects of education and training with a commitment to the well being of students.
Sound interpersonal skills.
A flexible and responsive attitude.
An enthusiasm for your subject area.
An ability and willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation.
A willingness and ability to be an effective team member.
A willingness to participate in appropriate staff development activities.
Ability to manage challenging behaviour.
Ability to deal with security issues.
An understanding of the needs of socially excluded young people and adults
Awareness of, and commitment to, the promotion of equal opportunities and the recognition of diversity.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.
Jobs that might be of interest:Prison Custody Officer
Apply now Senior Helpdesk Administrator
Apply now Bank Nurse
Apply now Part Time Nurse / Paramedic
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
Apply now Flexi Sexual Offence Examiner (Doctor)
Location: Avon and Somerset, Somerset