Ceramics & Pottery Teacher BRIDGEND £27,022.29 - £31,294.00
Ceramics & Pottery TeacherLocation: BRIDGEND | Salary: £27,022.29 - £31,294.00 | Posted: 22 Jan 2019 | Closes: 5 Feb 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Central Government Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 7416
Ceramics & Pottery Teacher
HMP Parc, Bridgend
Salary range : £27,022.29 - £31,294.00 per annum
Full Time (40 hours per week)
G4S is a large and diverse company with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company who are bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, innovative projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for a Ceramics & Pottery Teacher to join our team at HMP & YOI Parc working with adults and young offenders, a category B prison, in Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
Reporting to the Creative Arts Curriculum Manager, the successful applicant should have experience of and an interest in all aspects of ceramics and pottery plus a good knowledge of art & design in general. They will also have a positive attitude towards working in a challenging environment within the Learning & Skills department. The successful candidate will be expected to deliver courses which include a combination of practical and analytical work to assist learners in gaining a broad knowledge of the creative industries.
- Within this exciting and challenging role you will be responsible for the delivery and supervision of prisoners on a range of activities related to pottery and ceramics including throwing, hand building and surface decoration.
- You should be familiar with most aspects of 2D and 3D art & design plus a good knowledge of art history as you may well be involved with other art & design classes.
- To ensure that the programme of learning is appropriate for the needs of the learner.
- To keep an individual learning plan for each learner.
- To contribute to the curriculum development which will include the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of courses.
- To ensure you class efficiency recruitment figure are at 100%
- To operate effective arrangements for monitoring attendance and retention, including necessary follow-up actions.
- To monitor and track the progress of the learner according to the requirements of the awarding body and the prison.
- To ensure that all preparation, marking, assessment and moderation is completed promptly and efficiently within agreed timescales
- Assess students’ progress regularly including the timely marking of work and giving feedback both written and oral.
- To attend meetings of education, vocational teams and other working groups, as appropriate.
- To take responsibility for the management of the classroom, paying particular regard to the security of tools, including computer equipment and curriculum equipment as appropriate.
- To deliver assessment and accreditation relevant to the requirements of the awarding body and learner.
- You will be expected to update your skills on a regular basis and participate in staff development activities
- To undertake all administrative duties related to the monitoring and review systems of the learning skills programme and the prison regime.
- To attend meetings and working groups as required.
- To prepare, review and update regularly, curricular and associated training schemes and materials and to have them available for observations as required.
- To assist learners in reaching their long term aims, employability, career progression, further education and training and / or to live as independently as possible.
- Train on a range of programmes in relevant subject areas.
- Carry out student questionnaires and elicit feedback on the quality of training and learning.
- Contribute to course reviews and the setting, implementation and monitoring of action plans.
- The ability to relate and motivate learners from a variety of backgrounds and employ effective teaching strategies.
- To implement appropriate Health & Safety audits of your own classroom/workshop on a weekly basis
- To undertake other reasonable duties from time to time, as required by the Deputy Head of Learning and Skills.
- To adhere to all policies and directives issued by the Health and Safety department
The Ideal Candidate:
JOB HOLDER SPECIFICATION:
Qualified Teacher Status or PGCE
Relevant professional experience and subject specific degree
Experience of working with young people and adults experiencing behavioural problems.
Experience in a Prison environment - desirable.
- An enthusiasm for all aspects of education and training with a commitment to the well being of students.
- Sound interpersonal skills.
- A flexible and responsive attitude.
- An enthusiasm for your subject area.
- An ability and willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation.
- A willingness and ability to be an effective team member.
- A willingness to participate in appropriate staff development activities.
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour.
- Ability to deal with security issues.
- An understanding of the needs of socially excluded young people and adults
- Awareness of, and commitment to, the promotion of equal opportunities and the recognition of diversity.
At G4S, the philosophy of our prisons is to rehabilitate offenders and equip them to re-integrate into mainstream society on release. Our aim is to create an environment in which staff and prisoners feel safe and causes of prison stress are minimised. Central to our philosophy is the relationship between staff and prisoners. Our training and operational practices emphasise the need to treat prisoners with dignity and respect and G4S staff build positive and supportive relationships with the prisoners in their care. We are seeking to recruit a caring, pro-active and confident professional to help make a real difference to their lives.
If you join us, you will find a secure, friendly and professional working environment and be given all the support, training and encouragement you need to build and develop a successful career with us. Our benefits are as you would expect from a large organisation and include a company pension, comprehensive training, career development, generous holiday entitlement, uniform and access to our on-site gym.
Please note that these vacancies are subject to a 10 year checkable history and the strict vetting standards set by G4S and the Secretary of State for the Home Office and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and must have been resident in the UK for a minimum period of 5 years. You will also need to provide full details of your employment and education history for the last 10 years as part of the security screening process for this role.
HMP & YOI Parc is committed to a clean air policy for the wellbeing of its staff, and to protect them from the risks of passive smoking. Our prison is a smoke-free environment, and smoking is not permitted in any area of the establishment. The conveyance of smoking paraphernalia (including tobacco, cigarettes and e-cigarettes) through the Keylock and into the prison will be considered a disciplinary offence under the company’s Disciplinary Policy.