Associate Counsel UK & Ireland Competitive and commensurate on experience
Associate CounselLocation: UK & Ireland | Salary: Competitive and commensurate on experience | Posted: 27 Jun 2022 | Closes: 10 Jul 2022 | Job Type: Full Time and Permanent | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: G4S/MS/2317
Competitive benefits package including 5 weeks annual leave plus bank holidays, contributory pension scheme, company car, private medical scheme
This is an exciting role for an Associate Counsel to join our UK & Ireland Regional legal team with responsibility for legal support to UK and Ireland businesses, including government and public sector services (Facilities Management, Patient Transport Services, Electronic Monitoring, Care and Rehabilitation Services, Employment Support Services, Police and Secure Health).
If you are a Commerical Contracts lawyer with high levels of commercial awareness and an understanding of risk and compliance issues relating to our business, then this could be the next ideal role for you. You will be required to provide legal advice to business colleagues, represent the best interests of the business, minimise risk and act as the brief for any external legal assistance to ensure any lawyers instructed are suitably qualified and approved.
In return, we offer a very competitive benefits package including Car, Pension Scheme and Private Health Scheme.
Allied Universal®, a leading security and facility services company, provides proactive security services and cutting-edge smart technology to deliver tailored, integrated security solutions that allow clients to focus on their core business. Our acquisition of G4S in 2021 expands our footprint and infrastructure on a global and local level. Through our vast network of more than 800,000 employees, we leverage global best practices in communities all over the world. Operating in around more than 80 countries with revenues of $18 billion, we are supported by efficient processes and systems that can only come with scale to help deliver our promise locally: keeping people safe so our communities can thrive. We believe there is no greater purpose than serving and safeguarding customers, communities, and people in today’s world. Allied Universal is There for you™. For more information, please visit www.aus.com.
The main responsibilities of the Associate Counsel are:
- To be a member of UK & Ireland Regional legal team with responsibility for legal support to UK and Ireland businesses, including government and public sector services (Care and Rehabilitation Services, Employment Support Services, Police and Secure Health, Facilities Management, Patient Transport Services, Electronic Monitoring).
- Legal support for senior management teams for relevant business, participating in executive committees, governance and assurance meetings as required
- Providing legal support for the business across the full contract lifecycle including bid management, mobilisation, contract management and demobilisation
- Ensuring that all necessary internal approvals are obtained via company contract approval processes
- Drafting contracts and contractual correspondence with customers, suppliers and other third parties
- Representing the company in negotiations and other dealings with customers, suppliers and other relevant third parties
- Working closely with senior management to evaluate the legal impact of major decisions including where the applicable law or facts are unclear, controversial or conflicting
- Understanding applicable laws and regulations including procurement rules for public sector contracting
- Researching applicable law and writing legal opinions
- Understanding all applicable group policies including compliance related topics and advising the business on compliance and ethical issues
- Timely reporting of matters in Legal Tracker including all material litigation and other matters (as defined by company policies) and regular updating of key matters report for the Regional General Counsel
- Attendance and participation in regional legal meetings with Regional General Counsel and colleagues
- Working closely with specialist legal colleagues including litigation and HR to ensure seamless provision of legal services to the business
- Engagement with external advisers (Counsel/Solicitors where instructed)
- Preparation of newsletters, training materials, and lessons-learnt documents (and delivery)
- Ensuring that all key contracts and related documents are securely stored and filed in accordance with company IT systems
- General legal work/overflow support for the wider UK&I region (as required/requested).
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate for the Associate Counsel role will have the following qualifications, knowledge and skills:
- Commercial contracts lawyer
- Commercial awareness and understanding of commercial pressures affecting the business.
- Understanding of risk and compliance issues relevant to the business including business ethics, ABC, health and safety
- Good communication skills including being able to explain complex issues in a clear, concise way to non-legal professionals.
- Qualified solicitor in England and Wales (or equivalent/appropriate qualification to deliver above).
- Credibility to deal with G4S at all levels (including senior) and manage relationships with different stakeholders.
- Also, desirable is experience and knowledge of public sector contracting (central government and other public authorities) and relevant procurement rules
Please note, this role does not qualify for a visa under the current Government guidelines therefore to be considered for this role you must already have the right to work in the UK. Re-location costs will not be granted. You must live in reasonable commuting distance of the site.
The successful candidate will be required to provide original documentation for detailed screening and vetting processes. These documents may include your passport, drivers license, utility bill (dated in the last 3 months), HMRC letter, an original bank statement, an original payslip, your birth certificate, a valid share code.
Jobs that might be of interest:Claims / Litigation Administrator
Location: London, UK