Ambulance Driver - Queen Elizabeth Hospital Woolwich £9.83
Ambulance Driver - Queen Elizabeth HospitalLocation: Woolwich | Salary: £9.83 | Posted: 19 Aug 2019 | Closes: 16 Sep 2019 | Job Type: Permanent & Full-time | Business Unit: UK Patient Transport Services | Region / Division: UK & Ireland | Reference: 8020
Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Woolwich, SE18 4QH
£9.83 per hour
Full Time - 45 hours per week
We are seeking enthusiastic, people with a caring disposition to join our team at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich. As an ambulance care assistant (ACA) you will play an important role transporting patients for hospital appointments and ensuring they return safely home again.
The role involves driving, or assisting as part of a crew, patients with different requirements based on their mobility classification. The job purpose is to provide and maintain a caring environment for these patients and provide a safe transport service, maintaining high standards of patient and timeliness. Full comprehensive training is provided for the first 2-3 weeks and then mentoring with more experienced ACA’s. If interested, staff can go on to develop and learn more skills transporting and looking after patients with more complex medical needs. All this can be provided at a pace to suit our staff. We are developing training pathways at different levels up to paramedic standards which, as you progress, increases earnings and provides at truly long term and rewarding career.
- To understand patients special needs and mobility to ensure their safe transport ensuring the patients dignity and respect is maintained
- Drive an ambulance or ambulance car
- Operate interchangeably as either driver or attendant in a single person or 2- person ambulance crew and act and promote teamwork to ensure high standards of service delivery.
- Assist, move and handle patients, who may be ambulatory or wheelchair bound, using appropriate equipment where necessary e.g. carrying patients up the stairs using carry chair, moving immobile patients in and out of bed, and manoeuvring patients in wheelchairs into and out of the vehicle and on stretchers as necessary. Ensure patients are safely seated whilst in transit.
- Minimise and deal with aggressive and abusive behaviour to reduce risks to safety and ensure patient welfare
- Ensure the use of appropriate equipment and approved manual handling techniques
- Maintain the cleanliness and ensure the routine daily checks of designated vehicles are carried out prior to deployment
- Assist patients when entering and leaving their homes and take all reasonable actions to ensure the safety and security of their property.
- Liaise and report to Control as directed within operational procedures in updating location and status and respond appropriately to instructions
- Upon arrival at the place of treatment, convey patients to the appropriate location within the building as directed by Control.
- Provide support as directed to other agencies in the event of serious injury or emergency
- To be flexible on a daily basis in relation to shift finishing times
- Maintain records as appropriate. Comply with all G4S instructions, procedures, guidelines, protocols, policies and relevant systems and adhere to all statutory legislation.
- Carry out any other duties relevant to the role as directed by Control and/or the Service Delivery Manager.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Full driving license required (including categories C1 & D1)
- Experience of similar related role
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Application of common sense approach
- Physically fit able to lift patients.
- A caring attitude towards patients and an outgoing, friendly manner, able to show empathy
- The post holder must be willing to undergo suitable training including Manual Handling, Risk Assessment, Customer Services, client induction, advanced driving and first aid.
- Demonstrate high level of commitment to the provision of an efficient and effective service
- Ability to work to deadlines, at times under considerable pressure, without compromising standards of performance, calm underpressure
- Completed, clear DBS check
- The job also requires that crew members are flexible to fit in with fluctuation in service demand or operational need on the contract, i.e. a flexible working pattern
- Basic literacy and numeracy are required.
- Formal qualifications (apart from a full, current UK driving license) are less important than the appropriate manner and attitude to patients, clients and colleagues.
- Geographical knowledge of the local area to be worked within
- Knowledge of Patient Transport Services
In return, you will be provided with a G4S uniform, the opportunity to earn a monthly bonus incentive, enrolment into a company Pension scheme and G4S Life Assurance scheme and access to discounts including retails, dining and travel.
This role requires the ability to work with vulnerable, frail people, with the need for medical treatment at hospitals in a caring and compassionate way. Because we are dealing with the vulnerable in a patient care environment, a full enhanced DBS check is required.
The safety of our staff and patients is of paramount importance and the post holder must ensure that safe systems of work are followed without compromise. The post holder needs to be committed to maintaining high standards of customer care and service delivery.
Other benefits and rewards of working for such a large organisation are:
- Child Care vouchers
- Eye Care Vouchers – Free eye-tests/discounts for VDU users
- Hospital Saturday Fund (HSF) Health Plan
- Charity work- Match-IT and Payroll Giving
- Employee Care Scheme (Best Doctors and First Assist Counselling Services)
- Refer A Friend Scheme
- Love to Shop Campaigns
Jobs that might be of interest:Ambulance Driver - UCLH
Location: North West London
Apply now Ambulance Driver (Care Assistant) - Tonbridge
Location: Tonbridge, Kent
Apply now Ambulance Driver (Care Assistant) - Maidstone
Apply now Senior Rota Coordinator
Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Apply now Rota Coordinator
Location: Chelmsford, Essex